Cooper tire opinions?

Old 09-21-12, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Cooper tire opinions?

Anyone have experience with Cooper tires and/or opinions? About time to replace the four back tires on the wrecker. I have Hankook's on now that are going to make 45,000 miles; best I ever did with other brands in the past was about 40,000 (Yokohama Geolander & Goodrich T/A's), so I've been pretty impressed with them. Here's the thing though; a similar Cooper tire is $11 less each AND there's a $75 rebate running giving me a $119 savings for the set. The Coopers have a 55,000 mile warranty; strangely enough, the Hankooks don't list a mileage. I did the math and the break even point is 36,000 miles for the Coopers; anything over that and I save money over the Hankooks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-12, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Correction, I just checked and the Hankooks are at just over 46,000 right now, so the break even on the Coopers would be higher, closer to 40,000. The 36,000 break even point looked attractive, but at 40,000 I'm thinking it's a wash and the Hankook's are a known quantity.

Oh, and I checked the mileage warranty on Hankook's own website and for the type I use they show 50,000 miles, so I'm only a bit shorter than that.

Old 09-21-12, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
What tow-guy said......lol..........

Old 09-21-12, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
I would go with the Coopers. Post the size, so we the readers, can compare.

Cooper is popular here on the east and I always use them when the price is right. Admirals car is due and I do not think I am putting the Goodrich's back on.

Old 09-21-12, 12:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've run several sets of Hankooks on my wife's car. With the exception of the set that wore out because a shop didn't know how to correctly set the alignment, they seem to last a long time. Haven't really kept track of the mileage. I've also used Cooper on my old work van and a 4x4. The mileage wasn't great but they were one of the more aggressive tread designs.

Old 09-21-12, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
they were one of the more aggressive tread designs.

Yeah towguy is in FL, he probably does not need aggressive. The Hankooks are probably better. I think they have more of a highway tread.

Old 09-21-12, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I never saw a need for 4 wheel drive when I lived in fla - now I wouldn't be caught without one
The 1st set of snow tires I ever had came on a car I bought in fla.... but the owner of the Plymouth had just relocated from Pennsylvania. It did snow in Orlando one Christmas, it made the news. The camera man chased the 2-3 snowflakes down the street trying to film them - I've seen more snow on TV with the old rabbit ears

Old 09-21-12, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
I had Hankooks as OEM on my car....don't think they lasted 30K....I know...OEM tires aren't the best. Replaced with Kuhmo and they handled and wore much better. They sure don't like the AZ sun and roads though...even though the main tread is still good, the sidewalls and sipes are in pretty bad shape. They also only have about 35K on them but they are 5 yrs old and show it. I only drive it about 10 miles a day max...so I'm dragging out the replacement.

I say stay with what works....the replacement Bridgestones put on the wifes SUV lasted at least 60K....but they sure were noisy as they wore out. Replaced them with Toyos designed for just road use and it's quiet as heck and tracks like a dream.

Old 09-21-12, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
I had Coopers about 20 years ago on a car and I liked them. But that was 20 years and 3 cars/trucks ago.

Old 09-22-12, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've done mechanical assessments of employees at the Cooper plant in Tupelo, Miss, and watched the tires being made. There is a small tag inside each tire that can trace the tire back to the machine and employee who actually started and made the tire, which is good for quality control purposes. I use Cooper's exclusively on my Volvo and wifey's Tribute. They handle well, have good traction, and are priced comparable to others. Wait to see actual mileage, but figure they'll compare to other brands.

Old 09-22-12, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
215/85-16

I generally get tires from Discount Tire Direct website although the fronts on truck right now (Nexen) one of my client garages ordered through their wholesaler. Here's what Discount carries:

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

We used to buy Goodrich Commercial T/A's all the time because Sam's carried them at a very attractive price, but they're more expensive now.

Don't really need much tread, when it snows I just put the chains on.

Old 09-22-12, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Larry, I might have to give them a whirl just in the name of science. If my fronts were due, I would try them there instead - 2 tires vice 4 and the wrecker is murder on front tires.

Old 09-22-12, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
I compared both tires and the coopers have a deeper tread depth. 15 for the hankooks vs 16.5 for the discoverer. I like that they state 55k miles where the hankook site does not specify.

I like the coopers plus with a $75 gift card and a $30 with your discount card. Thats 105 bucks.

I vote coopers, but that's just me.

Old 09-22-12, 07:16 PM
and the wrecker is murder on front tires.
It wouldn't if you kept cars hooked to the back Couldn't resist it!!!

Old 09-24-12, 08:22 AM
Going off in the weeds here but did anyone ever see truck tires regrooved? Usually on big trucks.

Old 09-24-12, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
I remember them being done and even seeing tires (fairly recently) that said "regrooveable" right on the sidewall. If memory serves, I think my best tow buddy inquired about it a while back (his trucks use 19.5 tires and I think they said regrooveable), but I think he was told it's no longer done.

Old 09-24-12, 11:19 AM
ill toss in my hat here.. if you can get conti extreme contacts in your size they are great..quiet and very good in rain..stopped making them in my size 255 50 17

so i had to go with kumho asx..again fastastic traction..can do 80 in the rain and total confidence.

if you wanna do lotta sliding and i think the kids call it drifting, the BFG kdws were the scariest tires i ever owned..went way under limit during any rainstorms..horrible tires.

on the jeep i have michelin ltx m/s...got me thru 26 inches of snow so i'd say they have great traction.

Old 10-22-12, 10:32 AM
I'm considering Cooper Discover CTS for my F150 to replace the OEM Michelins on it now. They got a fairly good rating in the Nov 2011 issue complete tire test by Consumer Reports. I'm at 63k on the Michelins now but they're pretty thin, Michelin Maypops at this point. Anyone tried those Coopers? I like the fact they're USA made also.

Old 10-28-12, 05:07 PM
I like the fact they're USA made also.
I can't believe you were the first to mention this; I was looking for a mention of made in USA. I would also go with the Coopers.

Old 10-28-12, 05:44 PM
Yeah, Cooper's made in Tupelo, Ms, USA. Thought I mentioned that Now, let's try to find work boots made in the USA.................nevermind, I think we exhausted that a long time ago.

Old 10-29-12, 03:44 AM
Group Moderator
Got the Coopers mounted last week. So far so good; let you know in a couple of years how they hold up.

Old 11-12-12, 06:27 PM
I run a shop in Maryland. Cooper is 95% of what I sell. The LifeLiner is my GOTO for cars and the Discoverer for Trucks. Never had a single complaint. 50k tires fair and square provided you keep your alignment correct and rotate EVERY OTHER OIL CHANGE!!!!!