2006 Chevy Trailblazer engine noise

Old 09-25-12, 04:59 PM
2006 Chevy Trailblazer engine noise

I need help deciphering a whirring noise in the engine compartment. I thought it was the power steering pump and though it was a little low on fluid the noise continued after I brought it back up to proper levels. The serpentine belt appears to be in good shape. The whirring noise is coming from the front right of the engine compartment as you face it. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-12, 08:25 PM
turn on every light, wipers on high, blower motor on high,rear defrost, and see if it changes pitch/loudness. my guess would be alternator

Old 09-25-12, 08:43 PM
you have transverse or inline engine? if it's transverse, which side transmission is on? same side noise is coming from?
shoot short video of that noise, and post here via youtube
cut piece of garden hose, or any tube for that matter, and use it as stethoscope to point noise origin.

Old 09-26-12, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
That would be inline (RWD). Other possible could be the ac compressor; easy to check by cycling the switch off and on. You could also temporarily remove the serpentine just to make sure it's actually coming from one of the engine-driven accessories, just don't run it long enough to run the temp up.

Old 09-26-12, 05:19 PM
It's not the compressor. No change when I switch the a/c on-off. Turn on all the lights, blower motor, etc. doesn't change the loudness or pitch of the noise. The noise does rev when I rev the engine. Zeroing in on the noise, it seem to be coming from the alternator. My question: do I have to replace it? The gauge on the dash is showing that it is charging at 14 amps. Again, thanks everyone for any help.

Old 09-26-12, 06:44 PM
I never owned a car with alternator NOT making a slight noise. BTW, bearings in alternator are replaceable and can be bought OTC.
It depends. My Silverado has some alternator noise for 70 000 miles and still drives and charges OK. I guess, it's up to your level of tolerance.

Old 09-27-12, 05:07 PM
Okay, help me out here. I am taking a 10 hour trip (5 hours both ways) in 2 weeks, worse case scenario and the alternator goes out...what's the worst that will happen? I do appreciate the help.

Old 09-27-12, 05:36 PM
hear you loud and clear.
once again, it depends. how hard is it to replace alternator? I had a Ford once, job was 15 seconds, kidding you not. But as they do not take electrical parts back, you may decide to replace it now, for the peace of mind. Likely to last long long time, but hey - better than hearing from wife on the road.

Old 10-04-12, 03:45 PM
Just an update, I pulled the serpentine belt to get a better look at the alternator so I would know what kind of job I was looking at and in the process with some help from my son, we noticed the idler arm pulley was scored. I picked up a new pulley, replaced it and low and behold no more whirring noise. Never even thought about that part possibly being no good. Turns out, one or more of the bearings were no good and a good percentage of grease got forced out the back of the pulley slowing it down enough that it couldn't keep up with how fast the belt was going around. Instead of having to replace a $170 alternator, this part only ended costing me $18. I do appreciate everyone's help. Thank you.

Old 10-04-12, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Word of advice, if the idler pulley was shot go ahead and replace the tensioner pulley; ounce of prevention, etc.

Old 10-05-12, 07:20 PM
Sure enough, idler pulley was #1 in line to go on my Silverado, followed by tensioner pulley. Which for love of Gods, I wouldn't have called noise they made a whirring noise. Anyhow, glad you got it fixed.

Old 10-06-12, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, noise analysis is always easier when you can actually hear it. When I get an idler/tensioner going, whirring doesn't usually describe it.

Good catch & fix, mfrancle.

Old 10-06-12, 08:51 PM
i agree after working in a shop for 15 years, you just cant get a good idea of a nosie issue, unless you hear it.

Old 02-20-13, 02:52 AM
If you not yet diagnosed your issue, I would bet a case of beer that its your belt tensioner pulley. $30 or so bucks at advanced auto parts. Maybe $20 more at the dealer. Make sure you get a new belt since your removing the old one anyway. All in all its a 30 minute job, at best. Good luck.

Search this Thread