1994 Ford Taurus Coolant Leak on water pump inlet

Old 09-29-12, 11:19 PM
1994 Ford Taurus Coolant Leak on water pump inlet

Heyy guys, I'm working on a '94 Taurus with the 3.8 L engine. It started a coolant leak a little bit ago. I pressure tested the system and found it actually held pressure pretty good, there is however a distinct trail of coolant coming from the water pump inlet area.

I originally figured the pump was bad so I ordered a replacement one when I pulled the coolant / washer reservoir from the vehicle I realized there is a metal pipe connecting the pump inlet to the lower rad hose. Inside the pump inlet there's a rubber o ring which is now what I suspect is the true cause of the leak.

I'd like to keep the pump in the vehicle if possible. What I'm looking to know is: does this pipe just pull out of the water pump? It does look like there's a bracket attached to the pipe and bolted to the engine, but I'm more concerned with how it attaches to the water pump inlet.

anybody familiar with these engines able to offer any advice on removing this pipe?

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-12, 08:55 AM
Google is your friend on this. Just copy/paste "3.8 taurus water pump replacement"

Old 09-30-12, 09:31 AM
Google doesn't seem to be as friendly to me on this as I would like! The google search turns up great information on replacing the pump itself, but none mention the pipe connecting the pump to the lower rad hose.

It almost appears that this pipe is just pushed into the water pump, I'm hoping someone here can confirm this.

Old 09-30-12, 10:22 AM
he-he, they ain't change a bit. same dumm s... design. I had same pipe on my 87 Taurus with 4 cyl engine and yes, it leaks right there, at the bottom junction, as pipe vibrates when engine moves and, eventually, that o-ring unseals itself.
far as I remember, and that was job done back in 1997, that pipe comes out of 2 points of attachment, o-ring replaced, pipe cleaned, and re-installed. o-ring end was inside some metal housing, maybe it was into water pump, years passed.
And no worries, Ford is not the only one to come up with "brightness". Toyota has similar design, but "better" - t-stat sits inside long pipe that runs ON TOP of engine, in 3.0L V6, so to replace t-stat, you have to remove starter, as it's right underneath and not supposed to be bathed in coolant.

end don't repeat my mistake - keep eye protection on and mouth closed, when pulling that pipe out. or you'll have a nice swig of coolant right into your face.

Old 09-30-12, 11:17 AM
I can't believe they had to put a connector pipe that just gets pushed into the WP, no flange or nothing. There is a bracket on the pipe to help hold it there, but still. Why not just run the lower rad hose to the water pump or better yet make the inlet in the pump longer and eliminate that two piece design!

I've never been very impressed with some of Ford's designs though.

haha, don't worry the first radiator I ever replaced I learned to keep the mouth closed and wear goggles!.

Old 09-30-12, 02:39 PM
worst thing ever to happen, I have seen so far, is gas getting into guy's ear. he was in 10+ pain for about 15 minutes.

There's expression "designed obsolesce". that's what some designs look like - purposefully made to break and be replaced, feeding more $$ to manufacturers. that's why Bently costs what it costs - "designed and made to last 100 years". same used to be true for RR - "RR never breaks" was the motto.

Old 09-30-12, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Mid-90's Taurus are getting pretty scarce due to their propensity for early death from tranny failure or blown head gaskets (plus another half dozen things). Surprised you still have one on the road.

Old 09-30-12, 09:17 PM
I owned 87 Taurus and 91 Sable same time. I had both trannies die in matter of two week period.

Old 10-01-12, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
You had a lot of company; 10-12 years ago we were towing one of those to a tranny shop about every other day of the week.

Old 10-01-12, 02:31 PM
Yeah it still runs like a champ too! 260k miles on her!! She might be winding down though, with needing new tires in the next ~3 months, and some oil leaks. I don't really feel like tearing the motor apart but I am curious to see what it looks like inside.

Surprisingly the tranny shifts real smooth, I have no idea how many miles are on it though. The pan gasket has a very tiny leak on the one corner though

Old 10-01-12, 03:10 PM
3.8L Taurus

The 3.8L was not designed for the Taurus, rather for the Thunderbird and full size vans. Because of this the 3.0L is much more reliable and much easier to service. When I replaced the water pump, I had to remove the radiator to have room to work, but changing the fuel pump was the worst as on the 3.8 it sat right underneath a motor mount so had to remove radiator, tie back AC compressor, remove tire and wheel well, belts, block and raise engine and tranny and remove motor mount. Truly morinic. But I also owned a 3.0 and it was easy to service and very very reliable.