2004 Trailblazer is haunted ! Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Old 10-08-12, 05:11 PM
2004 Trailblazer is haunted ! Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Hi and good evening. The problem most needing attention is the license tag lights are out. I think they were out a verry long time. This car has auto locks. When you lift the rear doorgate, it continually tries to lock itself, about every 2 seconds.
I ignored this for years. Then I noticed the bulbs out last night. Now with the new bulbs in, they dimly come on and go off with each lock attempt, but won't come one with the lights on, car running or off. Rear wiper doesn't work either, which I have also ignored. So I would love a suggestion where to start looking. Both fuse boxes look good and have no loose or blown fuses. Two other symptoms: Occasionally you'll be driving along and all the lights on the dashboard will go off, all the gauges will go to zero, but the car will keep running. AC goes off, radio too. Toggle the headlight switch and all comes back to normal except the Security light stays on. I had a blown brake lamp once, and while replacing it and testing it, I found out if you pushed the pedal with the rear doorgate up, it would blow out the new lamp instantly. Blew a few, yes, I did. Is it fair to call this car haunted. If you can help, that would be great!.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-12, 07:17 AM
Really? Nobody? Not even take it to the dealer? Shucks!

Old 10-09-12, 07:27 AM
I consider myself pretty good with automotive electrical

I'd sell the car

if your feeling ambitious, you will need a multimeter and wiring schematics for the entire vehicle

nobody will be able to help you on this forum, that's for sure

You might have a little luck in a trailblazer forum, but it sounds like these are not common issues

Old 10-09-12, 03:17 PM
With so many electrical issues going on I would consider having the Body Control Module read for fault codes. Pretty much all electrical these days runs through that computer and in fact it could be that computer that has gone bad rather than a multiple of body harness, or ground issues. Most typical scanners will not read the BCM, so you may need to have a dealer do it. You might also want to check the harness going to the BCM for issues as well.

Old 10-12-12, 07:13 AM
Hey, thanks for both suggestions. Really don't want to sell it. Someone else told me my description sounds like BCM issues. But I appreciate the feedback.