1996 GMC Jimmy ...wont start

Old 10-15-12, 05:04 PM
1996 GMC Jimmy ...wont start

Okay this is probably pretty basic for a mechanic...but as you see by my username.... anyway it's my daughter's vehicle. It just decided not to start. It turns over and almost starts ... but just won't. My fiance is not much of a car guy either, but he thought it was the spark plugs. He changed 5 of the 6. He could not get to the other one. But still..the same thing. Turns over and over and chugs like it is going to start but won't. Any advice would surely help since we can't get it anywhere to do anything else with it. And the mobile mechanic wanted to charge us a fortune which we just don't have. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-12, 05:57 PM
As the truck has OBD2 diagonstics it makes sense to see if any fault codes show up by plugging in a scanner, if you have access to one. In this case that is really the first step in diagnostics as there are several things that can cause a no start condition. That said, a wild guess would anyway be that the fuel pump is not doing it's job, but that is still only a guess based on the make, model, and age of the vehicle. When you turn on the ignition can you hear the pump working? Do you have a guage to test the pressure level at the fuel rail. If the pressure is below 40 lbs. you have your answer. It should be around 50 lbs pressure if it is working properly. Fuel injected engines will not run below 40 lbs. Have you tried spraying a carb cleaner into the air intake to see if it will run even for a few seconds?

Old 10-15-12, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What equinox said....plus....I had one like this and the in tank fuel pump went on strike. With the ignition on rap rather heavily on the fuel tank bottom with a rubber mallet until you hear the fuel pump prime. Than do the other tests as equinox said. Solved mine in two hits.

Old 10-15-12, 06:31 PM
do this. grab your fiance, and pull 2 spark plugs out, maybe off opposite engine sides.
smell them. if they feel wet or smell of gas too much, they are fouled with gasoline, aka flooded.
even if it were plugs, and just plugs, when flooded, they will never start. there's way to start flooded engine, but ask me later, after you resolve this question.
also, he needs to check for spark. plenty of info on "how to" online. Make sure that when he checks on a plug, he does not have gas squirting onto it out of plug well, so best to do it - plug well with old plug, to seal it. I set engine on fire once like this.
if you have good plugs and good spark - and gas comes into cylinders - then timing is off, which, for the year, is either computer malfunction, or timing belt/chain is off. that will be beyond a noob mechanic to fix.

Old 10-16-12, 12:38 PM
Okay first of all thanks for all the quick answers! He sprayed ether into the air intake. It evaporated the excess gas and the vehicle started. He still didn't think it was fixed though, but when I returned home from work I tried it and told him it started right up. When I revved it very black smoke came out of the exhaust..then dissipated. He just went out again and tried and it starts right up --better than it ever did before. I think the problem is solved for the time being!! Thanks again for all the advice.

Oh and by the way, he did say the spark plugs were wet when removed, which I did not know at first. He also said they definitely needed replacing anyway.

Old 10-16-12, 07:15 PM
your vehicle is running rich. likely, one or several injectors are leaking. basically, you had flooded spark plugs and, unless cause is fixed, you will end up with same issue soon enough and in really inappropriate area somewhere. that's called life.

Old 10-16-12, 07:16 PM
oh, and injectors are easy fix. have them cleaned and replace O-ring seals.

Old 12-02-14, 03:16 AM
I had the same problem. First off, check the fuel line for leaks. If the fuel line loses vacuum, the car will turn over but will not start.

I replaced way more parts than I care to list, Including the computer, O2 sensors and the battery. I had three different Mechanics work on it and wound up towing the car back to Ohio from Colorado. A good friend of mine worked on it and found a cracked rubber hose where the fuel line leaves the gas tank. After replacing that line, the car ran like a top!

A fifty cent piece of rubber hose! Go figure.