85 honda accord LX "wet trunk" LX tail light gaskets

Old 10-19-12, 09:31 PM
85 honda accord LX "wet trunk" LX tail light gaskets

I have 85 with a wet trunk! I think I have traced it down to the tail light gaskets. Do you know where I can get gaskets for my old Accord. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. You may email me at [email address removed] Thanks in advance.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 10-20-12 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-12, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
Removed your email address, not allowed. Are you sure it's the TL gaskets? Trunk lid gasket would be more likely. I'm not sure what the TL gaskets on an Accord look like, but I'm thinking you could get by with some stick on weatherseal like this:

1/2 in. x 10 ft. Gray High-Density PVC Foam Weatherstrip Tape-02311 at The Home Depot

Old 10-20-12, 12:30 PM
old cars have tendency to condensate a ton of moisture in trunks. Pop your tire well cover and pick inside - if you have a puddle there, you got it. I normally remove drain plug or drill hole in the tire well, to allow draining.
You'll need to pull all carpeting out anyway and dry it out, or you will be chased by rotten potatoes smell forever.

Old 11-01-12, 01:53 PM
I think the design on the Honda accord is such that even without the gasket the trunk would not leak around the gasket. Any rust or corrosion around the gasket area? Might be a pin hole that lets water in. As for the tail light gaskets, your best bet is to make your own.

Old 11-01-12, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Even in NC, I'd be thinking about rust as the culprit on an '85.

Old 11-02-12, 06:29 AM
Don't know if you have room but back in the day I used to get in the trunk with a flashlight and have someone drown it with a hose to check gskt. Don't let them slam the trunk,, its hard on ears.

Search this Thread