nitroagen in tires?

Old 10-30-12, 02:09 PM
nitroagen in tires?

Anyone know if you can ad air to tires that contain nitrogen? Some man told me the nitrogen thing was just a gimmick, air itself has allot of nitrogren in it.
Appreciate some feedback. Have a tire that cojuld use a couple pounds and was just going to put "air" to top if off.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-12, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Everything about that has been discussed right here....http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...inflation.html

Old 10-30-12, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
So you have pure nitrogen in your tires now? What prompted you to do that? I ask because I'm guessing you had to pay for it so you must have been somewhat convinced it was a good idea and now you seem to have some doubts.

Old 10-31-12, 04:15 AM
Mitch/Nitrogen

Car was purchased used and had the nitrogen blue valve caps.

Old 10-31-12, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Local chain here uses green caps. Offers free top offs if the pressure is low.

As has been noted before, under the worst case you will still have 78% nitrogen.

Old 10-31-12, 12:39 PM
One reason for using nitrogen is that oxygen contributes to tire rot. It was thought that using pure nitrogen would alleviate the problem of rot from the inside. I have no idea if this makes a bit of difference in the real world life of tires.

Old 10-31-12, 02:11 PM
I doubt that it matters. I've seen a lot of tires broken from their beads and regardless of how dryrotted or cracked the outside was, if the tire still held air the inside looked fine.

When I bought my '95 Impala a few months back it still had the original tires- the car had sat most of its life. I had brought my safety glasses with me so they let me stay in the service bay while they changed the tires. The bead breaker revealed a whole lot of cracking on the outside, but the insides looked new. These tires had about 6500 miles on them at the time.

Old 10-31-12, 03:29 PM
nitrogen

Thanks, most seem to agree, might have been only a marketing ploy. Since air is wht 78% nitogin anyways, no one really had any evidence that there was any difference. Guess some beleive it helps a tire fromd drying out but that is it.

Old 11-01-12, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
There are some established benefits but I never thought they were worth the price you have to pay to have and maintain 100% nitrogen in the tires.

Old 11-01-12, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's always been my view as well. I know there are benefits to using it in race tires at a NASCAR track but my tire use doesn't even compare to a finely tuned race car.