Ball Joint Grease Boot Leaking

Old 11-01-12, 08:17 AM
Ball Joint Grease Boot Leaking

I've noticed pinhole leaks in the ball joint grease boots on our 1988 Isuzu Trooper. The joints still are serviceable but is there a way to plug up these holes?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-12, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
The boots are deteriorating, there's really nothing you can do about that. For the moment, you could just keep putting more grease in every few days or weeks as needed but they're going to need to be replaced, IMO.

Old 11-01-12, 02:49 PM
If you are mechanical, it is not impossible to pop the ball joint loose and replace the covers or rubbers. I did that on a couple of joints on my daughters Honda Accord. I packed in grease and put on new covers. Have done it in the past as well to other vehicles with great success. But replacing the parts might be the way to go. Buy a kit to replace arms and joints. Then get an alignment.

Old 11-01-12, 05:33 PM
What do you mean "joints are still serviceable"? As in they still work fine? or you have zerks in them and can pump grease in?
You might be lucky and joints might be bolted into CA, otherwise - you either have to be very good with large socket and hammer, or take it to shop to swap out joints. Both cases - CA needs to be removed.
I have solution for you - tight plastic bag or shrink wrap. IF THE JOINTS STILL WORK. That boot is no more than dust cap. real greasing is inside the ball housing. you simply do not want dirt get in.

Old 11-01-12, 07:02 PM
By the phrase "joints are still serviceable." I meant that I don't think the ball joints need to be replaced yet. Tires are wearing ok and haven't noticed anything weird in the front end driving it.

Old 11-02-12, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
It's 25 years old, so you got your money's worth (unless they've been replaced previously). I would get them replaced at first opportunity. When a ball joint separates it's ugly (also makes for a difficult towing hook-up).

Old 11-12-12, 07:20 PM
Not to worry

Long as there is grease in the joint, you're golden. Grease lasts a long time. It doesn't just wear out every oil change.

Hook up your grease gun, pump till the grease shoots out. Good for 6 months to a year. All those boots do is hold grease in. Barring a humungous hole, sounds like you're fine.

Old 11-14-12, 07:55 PM
Leaks in the boot are not the end of the world. As long as they are not loose,(jack the car up so that tire is off the ground and put one hand on top of the tire and one on the bottom, wiggle it to feel for play in the joints). The only way to fix a torn boot is to replace it , which then you will need a ball joint press, some upper ball joints can only be replaced by buying the whole upper A-arm

Old 11-15-12, 11:21 AM
Actually, that's hub bearing test.
To test ball joint, you need to have wheel up in the air, or even removed for ease of access, get prybar between control arm and hub, which is not always easy, and try prying hub up or arm down.
If there is up-down movement, or click, ball joint needs to be replaced. Bandages applied to knuckle wounds too, as pry bar normally slips a few times.

Old 11-17-12, 03:24 PM
Wiggling the wheel up and down WILL test the ball joints as well as the wheel bearing, If you have looseness side to side and up and down, with no play in the tie rods or ball joints you have a wheel bearing issue. If no side to side play is felt but up and down play is felt it looseness in the upper or lower ball joint