On replacing heater hose in 2001 Dodge

Old 11-03-12, 12:35 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
On replacing heater hose in 2001 Dodge

Have a 2001 Dodge Stratus, rust belt car. There's a steel line connected to short hoses originating at the firewall and carrying the coolant to the front of the engine, where again, short hoses connect to the engine parts. Pretty typical, except for the steel line.

The steel line is rusty enough to replace, It's Mopar Part number 04596701ab and called a heater tube, it's two pipes welded together with mounting brackets and looks somewhat like an octopus. To install it, I am told, requires dropping the engine.

Can conventional radiator hose replace the steel heater tube? It'd be a lot easier to install and we're not sure why the steel line was even used.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-12, 03:43 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I am no Dodge driver, I stay away from them, but I think, judging from some things done on our Eclipses (read - Diamond Start Motors = Dodge + Mitsubishi) it's one of those over designed things just to make you bring your vehicle in for repairs.
Like, in our case, they ran a steel pipe from t-stat, short run - connected to LONG hose run - steel pipe again, with that hose being about an inch away from exhaust manifold. I finally gave up on replacing it and due to burn outs, and wrapped in fiberglass.
So, yeah, if you have reenforced hose of suitable length - why not? Sounds even better, should accommodate engine vibration and movements better.

Old 11-03-12, 04:56 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Usually a metal tube is used where short bends or high heat would be a problem. If you have none of these go for it. I replaced an abortion on my chev truck with hose and the heater now works like it should.

Old 11-04-12, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I had the same issue on a 1990 jeep I used to have. I just replaced the 2 tubes/4 hoses with 2 hoses and it worked fine