Aztek headlights stay on after engine turns off

Old 11-04-12, 06:33 PM
Aztek headlights stay on after engine turns off

Have a 2001 Pontiac Aztek Base I just bought and it has an interesting problem. It is equipped with DRLs and Auto Lamp so the full headlights come on when it gets dark.

The problem is the lights do not turn off when I turn the car off. IE: If it is light out the DRLs stay on until the battery dies or if it is dark the headlights/running/tail lights all stay on until the battery dies.

The interior switch only has AUTO/RUNNING/HEADLIGHTS as an option there is no OFF. I usually leave it in the AUTO position.

I can get the lights to turn off by turning the car off, then moving the switch to either RUNNING or HEADLIGHTS then back to AUTO and the lights turn off. It is just a pain to remember to do this otherwise I come out to a dead battery.

Looking for a cheap way to fix this or any ideas of what could be causing it. My idea for a fix is to bypass the twilight sensor on the dash so it always thinks it is light out then pull the DRL fuse. My hope is then when the switch is in the AUTO position the lights will always be off.

I am definitely open to any other ideas that won't cost much because this is car is not worth much anymore I just don't want any more dead batteries.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-12, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Normally this would be a strange problem but the Aztec seems to be prone to electrical malfunctions. Apprently they have an issue with the BCM (body control module) that controls that lighting function.