I can replace a Body Control Module--but how do I work out the flashing part?

Old 11-05-12, 11:18 AM
I can replace a Body Control Module--but how do I work out the flashing part?

My daughter's 05 Saturn Ion (2) has been diagnosed with a bad BCM and I've located a used one at a local salvage yard. The question I have is how do I get it flashed when it needs to be in the car--but the car can not be started until it's been flashed? Catch-22? Trying to save some money and don't want to have it towed in...and I doubt the dealership will let me work on this car inside their walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-12, 11:56 AM
Do you have AAA?

I've had cars that are mid-restoration towed by AAA when moving. It just counts against one's annual quantity of free tows.

In the case of some systems that record the mileage, you might just be stuck paying them. If they have to note the mileage and then flash the new computer then you might have to bring it to them with the old computer present and installed so that they can legally take note before the swap occurs.

Old 11-05-12, 06:09 PM
No AAA and this is on my daughter's dime. I'm trying to save as much of her minimum-wage dollars as I can.

Old 11-06-12, 02:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just so you are aware, some electronic parts are VIN matched and you can't just flash them. I had a similar situation on my 2001 Dodge Ram's ABS sensor. Bought a rebuilt one, and although I had ABS, the lights would not extinguish on the dashboard. Luckily the rebuilder still had my core and rebuilt it and swapped with me making a happy day.

Old 11-06-12, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
Better than triple-a would be if you had towing on the car insurance policy. Also most cell phone providers have a motor club you can add to your cell phone bill. They run about $3-4 a month.

If I read your post correctly, the car runs now? I'm not sure about the location of that module or how difficult to get it out & in, but you might ask the shop what they would charge to do the swap and the flash.

Old 11-06-12, 07:15 AM
...you might ask the shop what they would charge to do the swap and the flash.
Looks like that's what I'm stuck with. The diagnosing shop wanted over $700 to swap & flash a used BCM. I bought one for $65. The dealer better not ask $600 for an hour's work. I should call around & see if anyone other than a dealer has the spendy diagnostic computer needed to reprogram the BCM with the new VIN & odo reading. It's my assumption that this must be done IN the car--but if it can be done on the bench then it opens the door to saving a bunch of money.

Old 11-06-12, 04:06 PM
around here GM dealer charges $96 an hr, if it sweetened it for you. What I almost do bet you, is that they will refuse to flash carried in or self installed part. Also, being Silverado owner, and membering in 3 I believe Silverado forums, it may simply be non-flashable, as GM is beyond senity in options and VIN this or VIN that, and BCM is pretty much just a submodule to ECM. How will ECM look at it - your guess is as good as mine.
Why it was diagnosed with bad BCM?

Old 11-07-12, 10:17 AM
Why it was diagnosed with bad BCM?
When she bought the car the LF turn signal didn't work but the rest did. Over the past few months there have been intermittent electrical gremlins and now the rear stop & tail lights have stopped working but the high-mounted center light does, and the turn signals & emergency flashers work. Also the cruise control stops functioning occasionally. The BCM is common to all these.
I don't know if the shop came to their conclusion by reasoning or testing.

Old 11-07-12, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think most dealers would have a problem doing the flash regardless of the part source/installation. I tow cars to dealerships all the time from the various independent garages I tow for that have installed a module needing flash/programming.

Old 11-07-12, 04:44 PM
You know better. Every time I said to a shop clerk - I'll bring my part, or have it installed myself - they always balk out of it.
Then of course, he does not have to advertise that.
Then of course, every time I have been around GM dealer here, for my Silvie needs, they go for VIN and ask - who had that part installed.
Guess, just me.

Nope, got to edit this. Had Midas install rack and pinion once, with me buying it aftermarket. Ended up with **** eyed steering wheel, them blaming it on aftermarket part, removing it, and me paying them for "their" part. Yep, had that once.