Toyota Sienna heat problem and darn - it's cold out there.

Old 11-08-12, 05:51 AM
Toyota Sienna heat problem and darn - it's cold out there.

Have a 2000 Sienna, front heat works fine but the rear heat system doesn't.

The dash control for the rear heat makes the fan spin, the dial above the sliding door for the same has no effect. Either way, there's nothing blowing out of the overhead vents. Am familiar with how the front control can override the rear etc, it's just not working.

I don't know where to begin on that one. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-12, 08:11 AM
Buy repair manual. Best starting point ever.
As interim solution, buy $20 worth heating fan from Walmart. Set it back there. Runs from lighter.

Old 11-08-12, 08:31 AM
Just checked on mine,heater is under front passengers seat.Nothing from top vents in heating mode,plenty from heater.Controls on front and passengers left side.Stick your hand under left front pass. seat rear part to feel heat?

Old 11-08-12, 03:03 PM
Embarrassed.

Found a loose connector in an area under the seat. We had packed the car, to the absolute brim including there, for summer travel.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-12, 06:24 PM
no need to. Here's my "embarrassed" story. Back in time, we re-furbished seized Olds engine in street corner. Weather was UGLY, cold sleet and we did it all on the ground and jackstands, as in - pull head off, remove pan, pull tie rods out, and replace seized bearings.
Sure enough, that Olds had digital everything. We had to remove entire top electrical harness, to get head off. We put it all back together, owner turns the key - lights come up, starter won't even turn.
We get back under the hood - locate a loose connector hanging down off firewall harness side, mid engine level.
We spent 1 1/2 hr in that d...n cold rain, looking for connector for it. Nothing. Finally gave up, drove to Olds dealership, found a same vehicle, popped hood open. Guess what. Was hood light connector. Went back, plugged it in - wrooom, zoom-zoom.
We were not embarrassed. We were PISSED beyond anything. At ourselves. That light connector was always "in your face", we simply never looked up at it, as wire was hanging down.

Old 11-10-12, 01:28 PM
Talk of embarrased....

I once was shown how to drive a 22' Model T. Was a lot of fun and I happily offered to put some gas in it, wanting a destination and to take a solo trip.

Came back without having filled it.... didn't know how. Quick, how do you gas it up and know when it's full? The cylindrical tank is visible from the underside of the car.

Well, got to drive it again an got a good chuckle out of it.

Old 11-10-12, 03:29 PM
I read somewhere that first T models had gravity feed gas flow, and tank was above the engine level, atop of the raised rear seat, called "auntie's nest". So they had to go uphill in reverse, or gas won't flow.

Old 12-06-12, 08:48 PM
I know this is an old thread... but, I have the same problem in my Sienna now. How did you find the loose connector? Our front heat works, but the rear just blows air... is that just a connector problem?

Old 12-29-12, 04:36 PM
Set the fan speed on the dash and the heat setting is above the rear passenger door.... but you probably already were there. It's been awhile since posting.

Connection is under front passenger seat, near the oxygen sensor plug that goes to the sensor after the cat.

Search this Thread