Car lift

Old 11-08-12, 06:13 PM
Car lift

Most of you remember my lengthy threads on car lift choice, and what I bought and that it turned sour. No matter what I did, I could not level platforms, one was going down about twice as fast.
So we ended up in cc charge back dispute with seller, and I, basically, had it all (2300 lbs) packed for him for return.
Then he decided ( I guess, he received charge back letter) to hire someone to have it re-installed for me.
Guy spent from 1pm till 6:45 pm on Saturday here and finally got it. I doubt even he knows how he fixed it. But it works.

I am still scared to death of this thing. Guess, I'll get my son's Mazda on it to run full height.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-12, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah......use the son's car Perfect test vehicle

Old 11-08-12, 06:26 PM
Actually, neighbor asked if he can do his oil change on it. That's even better. He's a body worker and painter, if s... hits the fan, he'll fix it.

Old 11-08-12, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Good thinking All kidding aside....make damn sure it's solid before anyone gets under it.

Old 11-08-12, 06:54 PM
16mm concrete anchors, 4 per base. Also, thinking about welding torsion bar to tie platforms together, on the garage door side of them. Will still have full front access. We had same car 2 inches from the ceiling, when installer tested it. Undercarriage was about my pecs height, and I am 6'5''.

Old 11-08-12, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Be careful welding to the lift. Any problems and your weld will be blamed due to unauthorized modifications.

Old 11-10-12, 08:42 AM
Make sure that you have your homeowners' insurance policy up to date and have enough coverage. They'll take the hit if anyone else is injured or killed under the lift, but only if your policy covers the amount.

Old 11-10-12, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Honestly.

I doubt even he knows how he fixed it. But it works.
Does it really.
How could you possibly go under a load and not have 100% confidence that someone will not be killed!!!
We want you around here for awhile longer.

Maybe shove an old sturdy fridge under a lifted vehicle it if you keep it.

Old 11-10-12, 03:19 PM
Greg, what I meant, he did not look like he actually had that light bulb flash in his mind. He kept adjusting valve handles, and suddenly, it all went well. Maybe he had it up and down so many times that air finally came out of lines completely.
As of the fridge.. Lift has "Lock" feature. You raise it up to whatever height, at least more than 20 inches, then press "lock" button, safety latches stay engaged and lift lowers platforms down onto them as they mechanically engage on both platforms.

Atlas SLP-7K Full Rise Scissor Lift - YouTube

my worst thing now I keep forgetting those rubber blocks on the platforms.

Old 11-10-12, 08:53 PM
I just do not like scissor lifts. I don't like the thought of working around machinery whose construction accurately compares to an effective slicing and cutting tool, regardless of how many safety features were incorporated into the design. I look at it that if it fails with me underneath I could end up with something cut off in the collapse in addition to the vehicle laying on me, and if I'm not underneath and I mess up while lowering it than myself or whoever else gets caught in the scissors gets injured.

I know that there are risks with both hydraulic and electric/cable lifts, but being bisected isn't one of those risks.

Old 11-11-12, 08:24 AM
I agree. Risk is in everything though. For what I have, surface mount lift was as space saving, as it gets.
Fella who worked on it an honest block, I could tell. He, actually, knew that lift very well, as turned out to be, mine is exact knock off of an American brand scissor lift (Oh, the ingenuity of our neighbor across the ocean) that he had installed not so long ago, for a dealership. They use it as quick lube lift, and he told me it goes up and down dozens times a day.
As of being dissected... Rather smooshed, but it has that prevented either. It will go down to a minimum height, forgot exact number, but it's about 50cm. Then it stops. You have to press 2nd button to make it go down thereafter, and even that happens at very low speed.
I guess, I am over reacting simply because it took me weeks and many attempts to make both platforms go down level. I'll slowly start taking it higher and higher. 47 inches off the floor is about best I can do anyway, and most of my jobs will not even require that. Hence, my chances of really getting underneath it are slim to none.
Now, say, I have that shop built outside, in few years... With ceiling tall enough.. And here I go - I already have lift that can go 72 inches up.
Actually, and it's hard to judge from picture, it is VERY SOLID metal all through. THICK steel bars. Axles are 2 inch solid rods.

Old 11-12-12, 08:59 AM
How much did it set you back?

I've been looking at Dannmar MaxJax, but it's about $2300 and then I have to install it or have it installed.

I've also looked into Challenger in-ground lifts but those are easily $10,000 installed.

Search this Thread