2011 Prius - Grease on side panel just behind wheel well

Old 11-19-12, 07:11 AM
2011 Prius - Grease on side panel just behind wheel well

Yesterday after church I noticed a several black spots covering about a 12 inch by 12 inch area of the driver side panel right behind the wheel well. I did a quick inspection looking for signs of grease inside of the wheel well including looking at the tire but found no evidence of a problem. I am taking the car into Toyota for a more thorough inspection tomorrow (Tuesday). Not sure if the car drove over something containing grease causing it to splatter like that or if there is a problem. The plan is for the car to drive over the Thanksgiving weekend but if there is a problem, that won't happen until it is corrected. Does anyone think this is a problem? I've never owned a Prius before so I am unsure how the mechanics of the car are made. I know that on other types of cars, this would not alarm me.
Thanks in advance for your opinions....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-12, 08:27 AM
Odds are you simply drove through something on the road.
With my car that was always car show ready, even the short drive from home to the show would kick up road junk on the sides of the car.

I wouldn't be concerned.

Old 11-19-12, 03:43 PM
Well, for the year, chances of your CV joint boots to be torn are slim to none, unless you really ripped it with something sharp.
Most likely, it's simple road oil trash. You always will find some oily droplets on well covers.
But!! it is well worth turning wheels all the way to the right, then all the way to the left, and checking them boots out.