'97 Plymouth Voyager won't crank either.

Old 11-20-12, 03:55 PM
'97 Plymouth Voyager won't crank either.

When I turn the ignition key, the dome lights come on but the started won't crank. It's like the electricity doesn't make it as far as the starter--
it won't even try to start. We've checked the main fuses and they all appear to be OK. The battery terminals are clean and tight and the battery seems to be charged up adequately. What next?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-12, 04:14 PM
'97 Plymouth Voyager won't crank.

When I turn the ignition key, all of the electrical things that are supposed to happen happen, the starter just doesn't engage. We've checked the main fuses and they seem to be ok, and the battery has plenty of juice but Little Whitey just doesn't even try to start. It's probably something simple and obvious (just not to me). I don't have a shop manual and I don't know what to try next. Thank you.

Old 11-20-12, 05:33 PM
I have merged your posts.

Old 11-20-12, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Automatic transmission ? Most likely neutral safety switch. Try starting engine in neutral.

Old 11-21-12, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by PJmax
Automatic transmission ? Most likely neutral safety switch. Try starting engine in neutral.
Give this a try. Never heard of this being an issue on older vehicles, but different local climates will affect these things differently.
Locally here (with snow in the winter), the starters take a lot of physical abuse. If you don't get any indication the starter is trying to engage, it's the electrical contacts are corroted or broken. If you hear a click down near the starter, it's stuck. A couple taps with a hammer (or rock as my son did for me this summer) can get it back working.

One thing you mentioned is the terminals are clean. What physical shape are the clamps in themselves? How old is the battery?

Old 11-23-12, 12:08 PM
I believe there's a relay for the starter up in the engine compartment. It may be nestled with three other relays (a/c cutout, fuel pump, radiator fan). Over time the contact points get burned with use and these relays need to be replaced.