1998 Toyota Camry Overheating.

Old 11-21-12, 04:20 PM
1998 Toyota Camry Overheating.

Just put in a used engine in a 98 Camry. New timing belt, water pump, and thermostat. Car overheats in about 5 - 10 minutes of idle. The top hose is hot but the hose near the water pump is cold, no water flowing thru that hose. I put in 2 thermostats thinking one was bad stopping the water flow. I had an idea to remove the thermostat and bingo, water flow thru all hoses. Heat out of the heater. As soon as I put the thermostat back in.. back to the original problems. I put all the thermostats in boiling water and they all opened. Something is stopping the water flow and its driving me nuts. By the way I installed the thermostat spring side into the engine. Someone help please.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-12, 08:07 PM
You need to bleed air out of the system. Got air lock somewhere.

Old 11-21-12, 08:34 PM
yep you a big air bubble trapped

Old 11-22-12, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also make sure you are installing the thermostat in the right direction, many will fit installed backwards but the cooling system won't work.

Old 11-22-12, 09:06 AM
What is the best way to release the air out of the system. I tried raising the front end, put the heat on high, and rev the engine with the radiator cap off but it still overheats as long as the thermostat is in. it is not opening to let the water flow.

Old 11-22-12, 10:40 AM
As far as I know Japanese makes, there should be a bleeder screw at the uppermost system point, which is likely to be your t-stat housing. Usually, it's a 6mm hex screw.
Also, make sure your heat setting is set to full heat. You may have air trapped in heater core.
I never raised anything. You do it on level. If you have radiator with neck and cap, simply turn engine on, fill radiator full, and let her idle. Coolant level shopuld come up high, with some overflow, then recede, as it being sucked into the system and t-stat opens. Then, I simply keep adding coolant until full. Just did it several months ago on son's Eclipse. After it's full, shut engine and add proper level to expansion canister. Re-check on it in 2 days.
How To Bleed A Cooling System - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

Now, back to your car.
Say, you did all that. And it still overheats.
1. do you see coolant flow through radiator?
2. are both lower and upper hoses "filled" in touch, or one is mushy and feels "empty"?
3. DO YOUR FANS TURN ON?
4. if there is no flow, you either keep installing t-stat backwards, or you have mechanical block some place else. Like, say, a collapsed or kinked hose. Happens. Say, on son's Eclipse, filler cap was right forward to the t-stat, and with it removed, you could, actually, see if it's open or not.
So, be creative. But for the sanity sake, ware heavy gloves and long sleeves, in case you want to check on hot coolant flow. I had caps opened on hot engines before, I wrap them into thick rag layer, and turn very slowly, until pressure bleeds out. That's when venting caps come handy.

Old 11-24-12, 07:36 AM
Make sure the lower radiator hose (suction into the water pump) has the large spring running through it. I worked on a Toyota a few years ago that had everything done over on the cooling system but the owner brought it in because it would overheat. I found the lower hose was collapsing on acceleration and that blocked the flow of water.

With the engine idling the system worked just fine. Warm up the engine and accelerate and you can check it out while in Park.