92 Mercury Topaz shift issues

Old 11-23-12, 02:46 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 92 Mercury Topaz shift issues

92 Merc Topaz automatic. When you take off, the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd fine and right away shifts half-way into drive. If you manually shift back into 2nd and then accelerate some and shift back into drive, it shifts all the way in and drives fine. Also, when you accelerate hard to pass or go up a hill say, it will not down shift to second automatically. Is this a modulator or sensor problem or is the tranny screwed ?

Old 11-23-12, 05:04 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
for the year - trannie. ****************

Old 11-23-12, 09:23 PM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
i think there is a shift cable/rod on these that can pop off of become miss ajusted.

Old 11-24-12, 07:36 AM
Thought so myself. But, what I think he's saying is that trannie simply got mind of its own and slips out of gears.
But that's my guess. We need his confirmation and clarification. EG, I have no idea what this means:
shifts half-way into drive
How can a gear engage half-way?

Old 11-24-12, 09:39 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no mind of its own. under normal acceleration, it shifts into 2nd and then into drive about 1 second later. When it goes into drive it is like it' s not all there. Lack of power, slipping. If you shift into 2nd manually and accelerate for say 4-5 seconds, it goes into drive and seems normal. Also, if you accelerate hard it will not kick down into 2nd at all.

Old 11-24-12, 03:30 PM
yeah, so my guess is actually correct, go figure. your trannie silps and such, not gear shifter not doing its job.
your clutches are slipping and your valves are sticky. next thing to happen will be - you put her into gear, and nothing happens. as in - it's in D, but no movement. I know, I had 2 Ford trannies fail on me in matter of 2 weeks, on Sable and Taurus. One on Sable first warning sign was - will slip[ out of overdrive by itself, don't even remeber what I had to do to make it go back into overdrive. Same gear shifter manipulations. Then, it simply stopped moving vehicle. Was 91 Sable, I believe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: