Backfires into exhaust

Old 11-23-12, 05:16 PM
Backfires into exhaust

I have a 1992 Olds 88 3.8 eng, 254,000 miles , new plugs, wires, coil, fuel pump and sending unit. When I start it when it is cold it backfires into the exhaust and runs pretty rough at idle. when it warms up it smooths out considerably, but it still isn't quite right

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-12, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You missed one thing.....did you set the timing to specs? Is it adjustable. Just remembered my wife's 83 jeep was not.

Old 11-23-12, 05:54 PM
The timing is controlled by the computer

Old 11-23-12, 08:55 PM
You have timing chain, right? Then it's stretched and is not engaging valve train right. Next I can think of, is your sensors, telling computer wrong info on when to fire. Is it distributor or ignition packs? Distributor can sometimes skip a tooth.
I say - take her to a shop, and invest $70 or so into full computerized diagnostics. Then fix what's brok.

Old 11-23-12, 09:19 PM
just a quick thing to try, while its running pull of the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. see if fuel comes out. if so there is your problem. but first was this happening before the tune up?

Old 11-24-12, 05:53 AM
Yes it was happening before the tune up. Actually I replaced the harmonic balancer because I thought that was rattling and then I realized it was backfiring into the exhaust. I'm thinking timing chain with as many miles as it has on it. Just wanted to get some second opinions before diving into it.

Old 11-24-12, 07:40 AM
Normally, you always go back to the last repair done. Apparently, there was work done to timing chain or surroundings.
THe way I see it, you likely want to have chain removed. Then fold it flat against itself, on something like a table top, and press both sides snug against each other. Makes nice long straight double sided "wall".
Then, pick it up by one end, keeping perfectly vertical. If the other end bows down - chain needs to be replaced. That's likely where your rattle was coming from anyway.
Don't drive that car too much, you keep hammering on vital parts. It's like trying to postpone open heart surgery - only gets worse.