cv joint "half shaft" inquiry

Old 11-24-12, 06:54 PM
cv joint "half shaft" inquiry

I'm wanting to order (online) a replacement CV "half-shaft" assembly for a 92 Honda Accord. It's the one on the driver side I need. So for one thing I need to be clear as to whether the driver side is considered right or left, so I can be sure I order the one for that side. Also, in order to get the right one I need to know for sure whether this vehicle has ABS braking system. It is a 4-speed automatic transmission. but also when ordering it makes a difference as to whether its an APX4 automatic tranny (which means manufactured in America, I understand) or a MPWA automatic tranny (made in Japan).
Is there a way I can know which type of automatic tranny I have and whether I have ABS perhaps by my VIN? Any help/comments appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-12, 08:22 PM
Driver side = Left Side. I would look on the mfg. sticker inside the door for the transmission code and google the code and I think it should give country of mfg. Can't help on the anti-lock but you might also try searching for a Honda Forum that I am sure can provide more information.

Old 11-25-12, 08:55 AM
As far as I know right and left are always determined while sitting in the operators seat.

Old 11-25-12, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Ooof...kinda tough question really. Maybe for some things thats the way it's looked at now....but it used to be that you referenced some things from standing in front of the car and looking at it.

I always considered left side plugs to be passenger side on a V6 or V8.

Autozone references things by pass or driver most times it seems. They also don't seem to care WHICH auto trans it has...just about the brakes.

Wonder if you could check the fuse box for the antilock? Best would just be to stop by a dealer and ask I would think?

Old 11-25-12, 11:27 AM
The vehicle isn't available nearby where I can physically look at it. It's at my mother-in-laws house and there's nobody there who can look at it either. Similarly, I can't just take the vehicle to a dealer and ask. For one thing there is no dealer locally. Right now I just need to be able to order the part online and get it coming. I do have the VIN number so I used this decoder to see whether it might show any indication of the ABS or not. VIN Decoder - Honda-Tech
In the "equipment" tab, it doesn't mention it. I would assume if it did have ABS it would be mentioned in among the items listed in the equipment tab?

Old 11-25-12, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
I think the decoder just gives you the basics, it's the actual serial number part that would tell....a dealer MIGHT be able to give you the build specs which would show everything. Maybe even over the phone? Though its 20 yrs old...they may not have it.

Not sure what site you were looking at but as I said...Autozone only needs to know manual or auto and ABS or not...so I'd say the ABS is the main thing to find out. W/O the build sheet or eyeballs on the car...that might be tough.

Old 11-25-12, 12:00 PM
I was looking at Car Quest auto parts site, among others. Similar to Autozone, with Car Quest I noticed, I don't need to know where the tranny was manufactured, but will need to know ABS or not. Guess my only option at this point then is I can try calling a dealer (tomorrow when they're open; today is Sunday) with the VIN and ask them if its possible for them to get the build specs from that and tell me whether it has ABS.

Old 11-25-12, 04:02 PM
You just answered all of your questions. As far as you have VIN, call dealer and ask all the good questions.

Old 11-27-12, 07:41 PM
If the vehicle was made in the US the first digit of the vin will be a 1. To know if you have a ABS just follow the brake lines from the brake master cylinder, if it goes to a square looking piece of metal with a a few brake lines coming out of it and wire connected to it, that is the HCU, which means you have ABS. I know people have said this already but, when dealing with cars, left and right is always determined as if you we're sitting in the drivers seat facing forwards

Old 11-28-12, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
I think you missed where he said he wasn't near the physical location nor anyone there who can look at it. I had the same thought about checking for ABS hardware under the hood until he said the car was elsewhere.

Old 11-29-12, 10:31 AM
Update: Dealer was able to tell me, using the VIN, that the car has no ABS. Thanks for all replies here.