drain water from block

Old 11-26-12, 12:16 PM
drain water from block

My 92 Honda Accord will need to sit in freezing temperatures for over a week until I can have the opportunity to have some repairs made to get it running again (distributor problem, will not start/run). Right now it has no coolant in the engine, only straight water. I'm concerned about the water in the block freezing and need to know if there's possibly a way to drain it all out. Hopefully there is an accessible plug on the block I can unscrew? Any help/comments appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 07:09 PM
It ain't Russian car, is it? They had block drains. Radiator drain and block drain. Lower radiator hose sounds good choice to me, and run engine for a while.
Or, do it Russian way. Pour fifth of highest proof booze you can find into coolant and cycle for a little bit. Russian antifreeze. Well, into water.
I am not questioning water presence in the system. You know, water, pun intended, pump is next in line?

Old 11-26-12, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think there is a drain in the block. What you could do is to drain the radiator....that has a draincock on it....or should. If not pull off lower radiator hose. When it's done draining reconnect or close draincock. Pull off thermostat cover - remove thermostat and pour 1 gallon of anti freeze into engine.

Old 11-27-12, 08:34 AM
Okay I went ahead and and just drained the radiator, using the draincock. Actually I found out there is a "block" drain plug, located on the backside of the engine between the engine and the firewall, next to the oil filter. http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps332be0f2.jpg
Local certified mechanic here said probably just draining the radiator will be sufficient though, in this case.
As I mentioned, the car doesn't run right now, so the sarcastic suggestion about putting booze in the coolant and letting it cycle a little bit is not even an option because, and I'll mention it again, the car doesn't run. When I get it running maybe I'll put the booze in then okay.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-27-12, 03:02 PM
Actually, instead of feeling offended over something, most of the 6th of the world territory was doing for winter, keep in mind that coolant was, initially, nothing but alcohol and some lubricant added to it. France even fell into habit of drinking coolant, as it was quality grape spiritus mostly.
So, it was not sarcastic at all. Maybe unorthodox, but I come from the country of few means and availabilities, resulting in a lot of ingenuity and "use what's cheap and available" principle.
Sure thing on plug. Every engine block has one, or similar, or several. Question is not popping it. Question is - how soon will the new plug start leaking. As they do not quite like being touched.

Old 11-27-12, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some may be too young to know/remember but before anti-freeze became prevalent alcohol was put into the cooling systems in the winter but then we had to drain it in the spring because while it doesn't freeze, it does have a lower boiling point.

Old 11-27-12, 04:27 PM
Yeah ok no offense taken. Just seemed sarcastic talking about putting booze in the engine etc. Interesting to know that's how they do it or once did it in Russia I suppose. Thanks for comments/advice.