security issue with 2000 pontiac montana

Old 11-28-12, 02:42 AM
Exclamation security issue with 2000 pontiac montana

I am having an issue with starting my van. When i put my key in it to start it it acts like there is no power. The fuses, battery, and alternator have been checked. I brought it to the shop on a tow dolly and while waiting for someone to help me push it off it started running. They kept it for 4 days and could not find any issues. Now I had it home for a day drove it and it is doing the same thing. I even tested both sets of keys to see if one was malfunctioning but I got the same result. Help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-12, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! While it was in the shop for 4 days, did anyone think of running the codes on the car? If so, what codes were present?

Old 11-28-12, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
Just to clarify, when you turn the key, you get dash lights, etc, but won't respond when you try to crank?

Old 11-28-12, 05:49 AM
When I turn the key to the on position there is no power at all. The only power that I have is the cell phone charger and I loose that power when i turn the key.

Old 11-28-12, 05:53 AM
I don't think they ran any codes because it was starting everytime they tried starting it.

Old 11-28-12, 03:03 PM
Often such failures involve the ignition switch on GM's of that era. I am surprised the shop didn't also suspect that because alot of them were replaced, but maybe they for some reason did not get that work. They had issues around the contacts. Assuming that all the cables and grounds were already checked out by the shop this is a strong possibility in my opinion based on what you have told us.

Old 11-28-12, 08:27 PM
i would start with batter connections. with the charger working with the key off and then not when the key is on, sounds like a bad connection that is able to power the small thing but then when asked for more shorts out. and the ride on the dolly shook things around.

Old 12-06-12, 07:45 AM
This is a long shot but wont cost anything to try. My Buick did this but when it would start I got a "security system"light. I scrubbed the key with dish soap and a tooth brush and the problem was gone.