Repairing head gasket

Old 11-30-12, 12:03 PM
Repairing head gasket

Do head gasket sealers work?If so which ones do you recommend.I have a 98 ford windstar and i guess they are famous for this but i have 15000 miles on mine and it runs pretty good except for losing some water and idling pretty rough at times.I had a new water pump installed a year ago.Vans been running good.Could the new water pump have been enough pressure on engine to make head gaskets start leaking?Thanks for your ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-12, 12:29 PM
Have you confirmed where it's loosing coolant?
I've also heard of a few late 90's fords loosing frost plugs.

Old 11-30-12, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
A 3.8L, maybe? Those were the head gasket blowers.

As for the sealers, search the archives here and you should find a couple of lengthy discussions on the subject. In a nutshell, some of the more expensive sealers actually seem to work, but they're still just a band-aid. If you need to get another 6 months use out of the van, might be worth it; if you're planning on keeping it a while, probably better to just get the gaskets done (if that's what it is).

Old 12-04-12, 06:57 PM
The is no such thing as a mechanic in a can, if you put it in there it has a very good chance of stoping up the radiator or the heater core. if the radiator stops up and there is no way to get heat out of the cooling system you overheat it then you could be buying an engine. If its something you are going to have for only a short time longer maybe chance it but if not just get the gaskets replace, more than likly going to be cheaper in the long run. The water pump can not cause the head gaskets to go bad by the way.

Old 12-06-12, 06:56 AM
The is no such thing as a mechanic in a can, if you put it in there it has a very good chance of stoping up the radiator or the heater core. if the radiator stops up and there is no way to get heat out of the cooling system you overheat it then you could be buying an engine. If its something you are going to have for only a short time longer maybe chance it but if not just get the gaskets replace, more than likly going to be cheaper in the long run. The water pump can not cause the head gaskets to go bad by the way.
Regarding the bolded text.... I have pictures of a mechanic in a (trash) can after a long night of engine swapping.

You post is however correct. There is no liquid fix for a headgasket.

Old 12-06-12, 07:28 AM
As stated before the best thing is to repair the head gaskets properly, however I have seen satisfactory results with block sealer. I had a chev truck that began missing on extremely cold mornings. A can of K&W block cured it and I drove it for several years. My stepson had a ford truck that the head gaskets were leaking externally. I dont know what brand he used but he is still driving it four years later. Your call.

Old 12-06-12, 08:01 AM
The OP never did confirm that it was a headgasket, but did mention they suspected it.
From the description, it could be anything from a leaking rad (or hose), frost plugs, head gasket, etc.
If it was a headgasket, was the water leaking out, or in ward into the oil?

On a side note, some engines (early Dodge Neons) would leak coolant into the oil when the gasket went. Other vehicles would leak oil into the coolant. I'm not fimilar with the ford engine (which could have been a 3.8L as my parent's had). Their head gasket never went.

Search this Thread