1987 mercury sable 3.0-v6 with ac

Old 12-04-12, 01:18 PM
1987 mercury sable 3.0-v6 with ac

there is very little heat from heater..temp.gage fluctuates from normal to zero and back while driving..new heater core,new 195 degree thermostat,cooling system flushed..also stalls during idle..becoming more frequent as time goes by..any help on what to do? i thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-12, 01:46 PM
I know you say your cooling system was flushed recently but I would check the coolant level in the radiator. Coolant could be so low that it's not reaching the temp sending unit and heater core.

Old 12-04-12, 03:49 PM
1987 mercury sable

thanks..i checked.. its full

Old 12-04-12, 06:32 PM
sounds like an acute blown head gasket. just bad enough to push air into the cooling system. 9hits heater coreand temp senor first. but it coud still be just low. even though it might seem full buy opening the radiator cap it can still hold air. almost possitive these have a bleeder screw on top of the engine. next time its cold open radiator cap , find and remove the screw. if im right you will see the level drop in the radiator.

Old 12-05-12, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
My first thought was air bubble, too. By any chance do you ever hear gurgling sounds in the dashboard area? Had a family member's '93 Sable start out with that indication many many moons ago, the wife noticed the sound while driving. I managed to burp the bubble, but several months later the head gasket went, so iceman's surmise could be a good one.

Old 12-05-12, 02:25 PM
thanks iceman..good advice..will check it out..God bless

Old 12-05-12, 02:29 PM
thanks towguy,never heard any gurgling sounds in the dashboard area..sure hope its not a blown head gasket..low on funds to get something fixed like that.God bless