Mazda 626 - Replace incandescent 194 bulb with T10 wedge LED?

Old 12-04-12, 05:49 PM
Mazda 626 - Replace incandescent 194 bulb with T10 wedge LED?

Hello, I own a 253K km 1998 mazda 626 LX and all my dashboard lights went out one after the other. The bulbs are #194 type and are old incandescent bulbs. Costly and hard to find. I thought I'd replace them with leds, I recently got my hands on six #194 leds for like 50 cents. They are T10 wedge type. Will they fit? Do they require a special adaptor? I would like to know before I take out my dash. If I have to, I'll keep looking for those incandescent thingies... Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-12, 11:32 PM
Group Moderator
Interesting......are type 194 bulbs hard to get in Canada ? I hadn't noticed that problem here.

I recently got my hands on six #194 leds for like 50 cents. They are T10 wedge type. Will they fit?
I'm a little confused here.....if they're 194 and wedge type....... look at them. Will they fit ? You should be able to see that since you have them.

Old 12-05-12, 07:18 AM
It's my experience that LED bulbs do not necessarily do a better job than old incandescent bulbs in automotive applications. Allpar did a review of LED bulbs as retrofits into older taillight housings and found them lacking. I would imagine that if the dash cluster requires side-scattered light as opposed to direct-on light, LEDs might not give very good performance.

I'm a little surprised that your bulbs have failed. I've had only one lamp in my '78 Chrysler's dash fail, and my '82 Dodge D350 with probably 276,000 miles on it still has a dash that lights up...

Old 12-05-12, 06:25 PM
PJmax: Yes, they are kinda hard to get and cost like 4,99$ / unit. To see if it fits, you are right, I can look at my leds, but I would also have to look at the ports behind my instrument panel. I was trying to know before I actually take my dash apart, because I'd like to do it only once.

T-W-X: Most of them burned during the last year, one every two months or so. Only the rightmost part of my gasoline gauge is still lit. It is hard to know my speed at night. I read the review you linked. It is interesting. I guess I'll try and give you feedback once it is done.

Last edited by Needhelp51; 12-05-12 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 10:35 AM
Done! Oooof. It works fine. However, LEDs are polarized, not easy to determine + from -. Trial and error mostly. Can't wait to see the result at night but everything seems much brighter than before in daytime. I have used leds with the tip shaped as a concave cone. I'll keep you informed if any problem arises. By the way, 73 leds with T5 wedges work fine for smaller 73 bulbs also.

Old 12-30-12, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Holy crow......4.99 each

The last ones I bought were in boxes of 10 for just under 3.00 a box. I think they were Philips lamps.

At least you have the LED ones in now. They should never need to be replaced.

Old 02-10-13, 07:29 AM
Eternal lights turn out being mortal

It's been a little while since I put in some LEDs. However, sadly, four of the large ones them are already dead and one of the small ones is slowly dying too . The first one to go was the odometer. Then the left side of RPM gauge, then right side of RPM gauge, then left side of speedometer... All this over several weeks. The agonizing one is the rear defrost light. They all died the same way, they get super bright for a little while, then they start flickering randomly, and then... dead. Probably a question of improper electrical resistance for the application, or something. I doubt it is a question of polarity because led simply don't work when polarity is improper, they don't "work: then die". I guess I'll have to buy those pesky incandescent bulbs and put them in...

Old 02-10-13, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
I wonder if the problem stems from reduced voltage when the dash lights are dimmed?
Have you checked the charging voltage?

You don't happen to live in a small town do you?
Those bulbs are not that expensive where I am and I am in the bush pretty much.
2 for $1.49 @ Princess Auto if I visit my home city and about $3.00 for a pkg of two Sylvania at a local auto parts store.

Click image:

I replaced a few incandescent 1156 bulbs with LED ones in my truck camper overhead lights last summer and so far I am pretty pleased with them.

Click image:

Image courtesy of pricessautodotcom

I would estimate they operated at least 40 hours, consume 1/7th the power and still are going strong.
They are pretty pricy but go on sale for less than half price.

Old 02-10-13, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Sure they are polarity sensitive. They are a DC device.

In that application that may have used to diodes to assure correct polarity.

Old 02-10-13, 11:47 AM
I don't dim my dashlights, I always leave them at full blast. However, I did not measure the voltage.

I just found a fairly decent deal online for the incandescent bulbs. I'll put them in when the weather gets warmer.