Vibration in PT Cruiser

Old 12-07-12, 07:54 AM
Vibration in PT Cruiser

I recently had a timing belt, water pump replacement on a 2005 PT Cruiser.
In addition , had 8 Valves, spark plugs, and 3 motor/torque mounts replaced.

Can anyone give advice on proper positioning of motor mounts that might alleviate a vibration in car when it is in park. This seems to be a new problem after repair work.

Engine runs smooth, much better than before.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-12, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
If you paid for this work to be done, take it back to the shop and insist they finish the job.

Old 12-07-12, 09:36 AM
Thx, Mitch for the quick reply, but I'm not absolutely certain there is a problem as the car belongs to my daughter and I really think the mechanic did a good job. Just wanted to know a little more before going back to him. Hard to find someone you feel good about and want to keep a good relationship. I feel the torque mounts are slightly adjustable and just thinking.

Old 12-07-12, 09:41 AM
There are four mounts, two spool-type on the bottom, one on the transmission at the side, and one on the engine at the side. In order to do the timing belt the one on the engine side had to come off. If they didn't put it back together right then that could be the source, or if they only replaced the one mount and the others are bad then that could be the cause of the problem.

Old 12-07-12, 09:58 AM
They replaced all three that are on the passenger size of the car (front of engine), but I don't know if the one in the middle front is even adjustable.

Old 12-07-12, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
When something behaves one way and then suddenly differently, the question to ask is what changed?

The car did not vibrate in park before and does now - what changed? The only thing I'm aware of is the work you had done.

Old 12-07-12, 11:00 AM
I'm thinking the motor mounts.
The PT has the similar mount arrangement as the Neons and Calibers (owned both). There is a front main mount (lower front by rad), a side mount (upper passenger side) and a transmission mount (lower driver side).

If the mounts where replaced with after market or inserts where used, it could be a harder compound, which would reduce engine movement (puttin the power to the ground, instead of rocking the motor) but will transfer more engine vibration to the body of the car.

Where the motor mounts that where replaced OEM or aftermarket?

Old 12-07-12, 12:10 PM
My Stratus, which had the same engine and transmission and was installed in a similar way, vibrated like crazy. When the motor mounts were bad the vibrations weren't as noticeable. When I filled the mounts with polyurethane caulk to attempt to improve the performance the vibrations were MUCH worse.

Old 12-14-12, 10:09 AM
Problem solved.

We replaced all three front mounts. Apparently in raising the tngine the 2-3 inches necessary to do timing belt work it put some kind of strain on the transmission mount. Mechanic removed transmision mount and in finding it in good shape reinstalled it.

HE SAYS that solved it. Makes some sense and I have to accept that explaination.

Idles good now.

Old 12-14-12, 10:19 AM
I should have said the three front engine monts were replaced originally. I did not mean they were replaced again and also the original post said the engine vibrated in park, but that is what my daughter had said. The vibration was most severe when at idle iin drive or reverse.

Again the resetting of the transmission mount is what smoothed it out. Thanks for your input. I will enjoy Chrsistmas even more now -