4x4 problem

Old 12-18-12, 06:00 PM
4x4 problem

I have a 1999 2 door Ford Explorer with manual transmission and 3 position turn switch to activate 2 wheel, 4 high, and 4 low. When turned, the light comes on for selected gear, and even get low gear, but only in rear of suv. Can't get 4 wheel drive to engage. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-12, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Many 4wd systems are vacuum controlled. It isn't that you don't have front wheel drive, the vacuum is interrupted and not allowing the engagement of the hubs. Not sure about the Explorer, but it would be worth a trim bottom side to look for an abraded or holey vacuum hose from the front axle to the firewall.

Old 12-18-12, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah there are a few controls to look for. First as chandler mentioned all vacuum lines. Then look for the attenuator , usually under the battery tray, for failure.

Then your model since its not shift on the fly, there is a motor that engages the tranfer case...

Last there are a few controls around the distributor that activate these items that may be bad.

This is my experience with these type of controls in my own vehicle. 1996 Chevy. All controls were similar with all models...GMC, Ford, Chevy, etc...

Old 12-18-12, 06:17 PM
The second time today that I have got the vaccum hose answer. Thanks. I hope it works. Snow sucks

Old 12-18-12, 06:20 PM
Pretty sure it's shift on the fly, but only for 4 high

Old 12-18-12, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
3 position turn switch to activate 2 wheel, 4 high, and 4 low.

No... Two different systems..

If you have buttons on the dash then yours is more complicated. ( Transfer case motor, modules and such)

Shift on the fly is a shift on the floor for 4x4. Eliminates several mechanical parts in these systems.