98 Olds Bravada just died

Old 12-18-12, 06:41 PM
98 Olds Bravada just died

I have a 1998 olds bravada 4.3 vortec. While driving down the road at 52 mph the engine just died. There was no warning, no hesitation, no sputter or hiccup...... no anything that could have let us know that something was wrong. Spark is good, fuel in the tank, fuel pressure is good. The only thing that coded was something referring to emissions. All fuses are good as well. Does anybody have a clue on where and what we need to check next? We are absolutely stumped!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-12, 06:11 AM
What was the emissions code?

Sometimes a fuel system pressure issue can show up as an emissions code, since fuel systems are sealed systems once the fuel cap is installed. Often people will get an emissions-related code without otherwise experiencing a problem because the fuel cap is loose.

Old 12-19-12, 06:22 AM
I will check out the code.........vehicle is in the neighbors garage. Both the neighbor and my husband are trying to figure out the problem. (Both are decent mechanics) I will get the code # and get back to you. Thank you for responding.......both of the guys have been beating their heads against the wall trying to figure it out.

Old 12-19-12, 12:16 PM
And I was mistaken.........there are 3 codes. PO452 / PO453 / PO446. I'm scouring the net right now trying to find the meanings of these codes.....might anyone know them?

Old 12-19-12, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The three may be related. 452 and 453 relate to pressure in the gas tank. A wire in the harness may be shorted. 446 relates to the evaporative canister which could be "coked"up or have a kinked or plugged hose. If you google oldsmobile codes you can find more in depth details.

Old 12-19-12, 04:03 PM
Thank you for the tips.....the evap canister is good........hoses are not kinked anywhere but will have to follow through a little more to see if hose is plugged. Will have to start first thing in the morning looking for possible shorts in the wiring. Thank you again......why can't anything be "just easy"!

Old 12-19-12, 07:47 PM
you have a bad fuel tank pressure sensor. with the key on test for 5 volts on the throttle position sensor i bet you wont find one or it will be hirer then it should be. i have seen a butt load of these go bad. the both along with other sensors get a 5 volt from the pcm when one shorts out it takes them all out. with you haveing three codes dealing with the evap system i would bet money thats it.