How to- How to remove a steering column from a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire?

Old 12-19-12, 07:29 AM
Question How to- How to remove a steering column from a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire?

I've been having trouble with the starter. I replaced it with a whole new one but i still had the same problem. So now it has to be the steering column. I want to know how remove the whole column at one time or maybe a diagram.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-12, 07:49 AM
Not sure about the sunfires, but most of the cars I've worked on, it was a security bit you needed.

Before removing the steering collumn, what is the starting issues?
What is it doing or not doing?

Old 12-19-12, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Airbag on this car? If so, removing the steering wheel is a whole 'nother can of worms and hiring the job done needs to at least be considered.

Old 12-19-12, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, Kelly, welcome to the forums! We need more information as to what is happening. It may be a fix that won't require a total column replacement. Quite often it is in the switch area, which is removable without removing the column. We're here.

Old 12-19-12, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
A persistent problem that people overlook is the neutral safety switch. If it won't start in Park try it in Neutral.

Old 12-20-12, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good point, PJ. On some models, you will need to insert the ignition key in a slot on the console in order to bring it into neutral (floor shift models)

Old 12-20-12, 05:21 AM
As PJmax mentioned the Nutral switch is the first issue (clutch switch if standard tranny).
The next major wear part is the ignition key pack or the ignition switch. Both (on older 90's vehicles anyway) are in most cases easy to remove, clean and or replace.
90's and early 2000's Dodges was a security bit to remove the steering collumn plastics (around the ignition key). Don't remember the bit size. From there, a couple more security bit screws to remove the ignition switch. The key pack on the dodges was a 2 second removal. Put the key in, turn to the run position (with battery disconnected btw). Once in the run position, there is a button on the bottom of the key pack you need to push and the keypack pulls out.
GM's where similar if I remember correctly.
One thing to note, the ignition switch assembly was plastic on most vehicles (back then), so it was the next point of failure after the clutch/shifter switch when looking at in cabin points of failure. Most cases, the issue was under the hood with battery issues, corroded cables (bad grounds) and then finally the starter.