4wd will not engage

Old 12-21-12, 02:23 PM
4wd will not engage

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and I have no power to my 4wd switch. I replaced it because I thought it must have been bad. I had a diagnostic test ran on it and they told me that the shift module tested good. Any idea why I am not getting any power to the switch would be helpful. I put a test light to the wiring harness with no luck. Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-12, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Check all fuses under dash and under hood. You have electronic shift on the fly. If not the fuses then you will need to check the connection of the motor at the transfer case. The connections come loose/ Or the worm gear strips not allowing the TC to go into 4 wheel. This is why the light will not light.

Let us know.

Old 12-21-12, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Here is what the motor should look like with electrical connector. Make sure its tight.

When you check the fuses and relays, ford has known issues with relay sockets corroding.

Old 12-21-12, 06:25 PM
Thank lawrosa! I'll check that connection in the next day or so. I know that all the fuses and relays have been checked and all is good there.

Old 01-02-13, 07:46 PM
I finally checked it out and the plug is tight. You think it may be something to do with the wiring to either the battery or to the starter?

Old 01-02-13, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
You need to check the worm gear in the motor....

Before you do that did you check if your getting power to that connector?

Best thing you can do is get a haynes repair manual from the auto parts store..... That will help you trouble shoot.