Car won't stay running after starting

Old 12-25-12, 03:49 PM
Car won't stay running after starting

91 Plymouth Acclaim, 300 V6. All of a sudden, "yesterday" my car started dying right after starting. The car will stay running if I keep my foot on the gas pedal without any trouble. But 95% of the time when I take my foot off the pedal the RPM's will drop and the car will die. It's never done this before. I doubt if the tempature has anything to do with it, but is turned very cold here lately. 9 degrees above zero. Anybody have any guesses as to what my problem is?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-12, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
That's an early fuel injection vehicle.
The fuel pressure should be checked at the fuel rail.
The AIS (automatic idle solenoid) is probably carboned up or is defective.
A very common problem.

The automatic idle solenoid should be on the throttle body left side facing the engine from the front of the car. Pic below is what it looks like.

Attached Images  
Old 12-25-12, 09:43 PM
Is the AIS something that can be taken off and cleaned with carb cleaner? If it needs replaced is this something I can pick up from a junk yard for a few bucks or should I buy a new one? I can get a fuel pressure tester from Auto Zone to check out the pressure. Thanks for ur suggestion and taking the time to put a photo up of the AIS, that really helps.

Old 12-25-12, 09:54 PM
Group Moderator
My father has a 94 Dodge ram pickup that used the same exact AIS. I took it out and cleaned it. It worked better but it still had idle issues. I ended up replacing it from Pep Boys. I think about 35-40 bucks.

So yes......you can take it out and clean it. You will also need to clean the port where it bolts in. It's held in with two metric torx bolts, I believe.

Here's a link for You Tube. There are several videos there showing the AIS. In the link I left you.....it's the same AIS you have but a different vehicle. He does explain how to clean it.

How to clean Idle Air Control Valve - YouTube

Old 12-25-12, 11:53 PM
I'll try cleaning it tomorrow and let you know what happened. Thanks for ur help.

Old 12-26-12, 08:17 PM
I took the throttle body front end off, took the Idle Air Control Valve out and cleaned it up with carb cleaner, cleaned the throttle plate, reinstalled it all back together and the car runs fine now. Took me about an hour, other than the carb cleaner all it cost me was time. Thanks for ur help, u saved me a bunch!!!

Search this Thread