Power steering question on an 06 Chev Equinox

Old 12-27-12, 02:08 PM
Power steering question on an 06 Chev Equinox

My '06 Chevy Equinox has electric power steering and is somewhat sluggish.

Is there any way to increase the bias (or power) of the power steering to make it easier to turn the wheel?

Reason why is my kid just took her drivers test and flunked due to " Equipment Failure" (total bs) I drive it every day in the city and never had trouble with it.

The instructor said it was binding. I looked it up online and found out that if you keep the steering wheel under load too long it will lose the power and must turn the wheel back and fourth to restore it. Apparently she was struggling at the " Parallel Parking portion of the exam.

She does need more practice at parallel parking but is their a way to jack up the power in GM electric power steering?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-12, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
I doubt there is any way to accomplish this, but you might want to check with the dealer (or Alldata.com) for any tech bulletins that address the issue?

Old 12-27-12, 08:54 PM
there is no way to bypass this safety issue. the motor used to assist the steering uses a butt load of amps. and with out this logic of cutting power to it during extreme use could fry the circuits and start a fire.

Old 12-28-12, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Probably best to maybe beg/borrow/steal a different vehicle for the test (assuming that there isn't, in fact, any actual problems with the Equinox). The down side of that, of course, is having to drive an unfamiliar vehicle after probably doing all the prior training in the Equinox.

Oddly enough, parallel parking is no longer a test requirement down here and hasn't for some time. Daughter got her license in '05 and it was already off the test. She did have to successfully negotiate a parking lot-like diagonal parking place in & out.

Old 12-29-12, 11:03 AM
Yep, I think they put way too much emphasis on parallel parking. As I drive (for a living) it's hard for me to believe how most people manage to pass the road test......sheeesh! I guess that's why god invented tow trucks

Old 12-29-12, 09:23 PM
This is good info. Thanks iceman. You sound like you know this vehicle.
It's supposed to have "Speed Sensitive Steering" but It feels the same to me at all speeds.

Old 12-30-12, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
I think that's what Speed Sensitive means. Otherwise it would feel very light at higher speeds and very heavy at lower speeds.

Old 12-31-12, 11:44 AM
The Equinox does have a large turning radius compared to some other smaller SUV's. The steering is a little slow but that is what it is. It is always a balance between designing systems that are too loose and lack road feel and others that are not responsive enough. Nothing you can really do with your steering except let your daughter practice more with it.