Need a new key for a 2002 Pontiac

Old 01-01-13, 01:35 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need a new key for a 2002 Pontiac

I bought a used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, and my key got bent, and will not fit into the ignition to start the vehicle. Since it was bought used I only got one key with the chip inside to keep the car running. The duplicate key I had made does not run the vehicle. I am hoping someone can give me advice how to get a replacement key that will run my car. I have GM dealerships close to me, including Cadillac and Buick, but I would like to ask the question here before I proceed to them. Any advice would be welcomed. TY

Old 01-01-13, 02:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
There are two systems used by GM in that year. One is the passlock system which uses a resistor in the key.

The other system, which I think you have due to the "GT", is the passkey system. It uses a transponder based chip in the key. This is the PK-3 system. If you don't have the RPO code of BAE then you could actually program the new key yourself.
Typically the dealer will charge 100-125.00 for this service.

If you keep the head of the old key very close to the key slot and the head of the new key.....the car will start and run.

The RPO (production options) codes are usually listed on the inside of the glovebox.

Old 01-01-13, 11:49 AM
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
or tape what you have of the key with the chip near the key cylinder. and use you cut keys to turn it

Old 01-02-13, 12:48 AM
G
Thank you both for the replies, I just need to get the car moving again, so I can get to work. Thanks again.

Old 09-23-13, 09:02 AM
D
I know this is a bit of an old thread, just stumbled across it. The GM key for that car can be self programmed. In the case of the OP it will be a bit creative to do. If you had the other key it is as simple as cycling both keys a few times thru the start sequence. In the OP's case, you will have to cycle the one good key with the bent one near it first, then with the bent one away from it, near it , away, etc. At some point in that sequence the computer will recognise the new key.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: