1987 560 sl

Old 01-07-13, 10:45 AM
1987 560 sl

I have a 560 sl Mercedes with 109,000 miles on it. It is in Cape Coral Florida. It wasn't used for the last 2 years. This year in Oct I put it back on the road and it ran fine. Just a few days ago it started making a sound like an old outbourd motor. The sound seems to be coming from what i think is an air pump. There is a pipe coming from a pump going in to the top of the valve cover. After driving for awhile it goes away. It doesn't look too hard to replace it but I'm not sure if I need it. If I take the belt off it will it hurt the motor?
Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me.
John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-13, 03:17 PM
If it is the smog pump, these are only used initially on cold engines , and then shut off. That is probably why after a short time the noise stops, as the pump is turned off. The pulley is controlled by an electic clutch. One idea rather than removing the pump is to just unplug the electical connectors and it will never run again. You might find that replacing it would not be cheap also. If the pump is not working, the emission level would be normal without the pump once the engine is warmed anyway.