Serpentine and Timing Belts Replacement

Old 01-08-13, 08:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Serpentine and Timing Belts Replacement

Serpentine and Timing Belts

I have a 1992 Toyota Celica with 42,000 miles. Because of its age, is it prudent to have the serpentine and timing belts replaced?

Thanks,
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-13, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
I checked and that doesn't appear to be an interference engine, aka a valve-bender, so a broken timing belt would just mean a tow and a new belt. If it's the original belt and you plan on keeping the car, wouldn't hurt to have it done; 42,000 miles is not a lot, but the age would be a factor. Your serpentine is likely not original, so it's a judgement call. If you can't remember the last time you replaced it, go ahead and do it, they're fairly inexpressive. Are you sure it's a serpentine? A lot of Toyotas have separate belts for accessories vice a serpentine.

Old 01-09-13, 05:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Keep your old serpentine belt in the wheel well. You may need it if the one on the engine breaks. Better than calling for a tow...........Sorry John.

Old 01-09-13, 06:04 AM
J
Thanks to all for the inputs. As a followup, all the belts on this car are original. Good suggestion to keep the old serpentine belt.

Jerry

Old 01-09-13, 01:12 PM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
You know the wisdom - don't fix it if it ain't brok.

We had several Japanese cars, that ran on original belts almost into 200 000 miles without trouble. Timing belts. If you have serpentine on 92 model, it still is good for about 60 000 miles. Doe sit have any signs of being stretched? If not - let it be.
Don't get obsessive with those things. You have good year, those were golden years for Toyotas and Hondas. let her run. She'll show signs of things to come, before belts rip.

Old 01-09-13, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Easy to check the serpentine for cracks and checks, but 1992...20 yrs old...heck yes it should be replaced. Would you drive on 20 y/o tires?

Timing belt should probably be done as well...though they are tougher than regular belts....it's still 20 yrs old.

Yeah...I know...I'm in the minority. If you bought a 20 y/o car with original belts, hoses, and tires....would you replace them? I sure would.

Old 01-09-13, 01:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If it's a non-interference engine (and I believe TG when he says it is not), then at least your engine won't be toast if it blows. Around here, I do everything I reasonably can to not get stuck on the side of the road when it can be deathly cold outside, so I'd replace any belt which was 21 years old.

Old 01-09-13, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
pay now or pay later when your not ready for it.

Old 01-10-13, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
That pretty much covers it in a nutshell. And I usually have a spare (old) belt on the wrecker.

Old 01-10-13, 06:52 AM
J
Thanks again for the replies. I decided to have both belts replaced. I think age has to be a factor and I plan to keep the car.

Also, good to know if the timing belt were to break, the engine would not be ruin.

Jerry