First time online buyer: tires

Old 01-16-13, 04:15 AM
First time online buyer: tires

Good morning-
Our SUV has a sidewall leak in the right rear tire that can't be repaired. I am planning to replace both rear tires; the front tires are still in good shape.

I'd always wanted to try an online tire purchase. I found a garage to mount, balance etc the new tires; found an exact match of make, model, tire size and speed / load rating for the existing tires.

About to pull the trigger (and save a fistful of dollars) but just looking for some validation: am I missing anything?

Thanks
Dave O

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-13, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
The only real drawback is warranty; although the tires are warranted just like any other, you can't just drive down to the local tire store and get a warranty replacement although there are provisions for quickee replacements when you need one (you pay a little extra for that coverage). I've been buying my wrecker tires on line for several years [Discount Tire Direct] and have been pretty happy with the extra $ in my pocket. Of course I have a number of options as to mounting (including finagling time on a tire machine to mount them myself).

Old 01-16-13, 04:55 AM

Bought a full set from Tire Rack.....had them shipped and delivered to Canada.

No complaints.....transaction was smooth.

They can deliver to your home or directly to the garage where they will be installed.

Old 01-16-13, 05:18 AM
Online Tires

How much of the savings is offset by shipping charges?

Old 01-16-13, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
Bought from Tire rack way back when.. Got a good deal on them. But when you need to pay for mount and balance at the local shop its often at a premium...$25 per tire.

The online deals are not what they used to be. I now find the same tires locally cheaper, because mount and balance is often included.

Lastly from my research those online deals are often blemished tires, or slightly defective.

I personally would not buy from online again.. Only if I had that rare type tire for my viehicle.

Case in point these are what I had on my grand prix. Goodyear Eagle RSA. I got 94k miles out of them and wanted the same tire. They were $161 back then and I got on tire rack for $94. Today they are $155 on tire rack.

Plus pay for shipping say $50.

Comes to about $192 per tire. ( W/O taxes)

Goodyear*Eagle RS-A

Here is the local store at $179. I could haggle in the mount and balance. Cheaper and more convienient them lugging the tires down to the local store to get them mounted.....

Eagle RS-A Tires | Goodyear Tires

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-16-13 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
I still buy from Tire Rack, I find the shipping usually is offset by the sales tax of buying locally. You can have them sent to a shop now and know ahead of time what that shop is going to charge you to mount and balance.

However, I bought a set of steel rims and snow tires for my wife's car several years ago from a shop and as part of the deal they store the set not on the car and swap them out twice a year as a tire rotation. Tire Rack couldn't match that deal.

Old 01-16-13, 07:58 AM
>>those online deals are often blemished tires, or slightly defective

Now I'm concerned- blemished I don't care, but defective is a different matter. The price difference is enough to be worthwhile even for just two tires, even with shipping added. So I'm going to contact the place to see what's the story before I buy.

Old 01-16-13, 08:18 AM
OK, stupid question time. The tire in question has a slow leak. I just read something about a tire getting "resealed". Is this a realistic alternative, or the rantings of an internet freak?

Old 01-16-13, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
I've never ever ever heard that Tire Rack or Discount Tire or anyone else sells "blems". Even if they did...IIRC they have to disclose that and the tires are stamped as such.

Yes, I know there are places that supposedly specialize in blems....but how many cosmetically off (blem) tires do you think are produced?

Old 01-16-13, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Internet freak...if it's sidewall damage it needs to be replaced.

Old 01-16-13, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
I carry a kit in my car and fix my own flats - assuming it's in the tread and not overly large. As Vic said, sidewall holes mean the tire gets replaced.

Old 01-16-13, 09:19 AM
Called the online provider (SimpleTire.com) and the guy said the tires are all first quality, no blems, so I did the deal. Thanks for everyone's help!

>>carry a kit in my car and fix my own flats
I do too, and put one in our other cars too:
Search results for: 'tire repair kit'

Are these a temporary or permanent fix? I've seen them called temporary, not sure why.

Do you carry a compressor too?

Old 01-16-13, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Overkill is my middle name: I have a 12 volt impact wrench, speed wrench, 24" breaker bar, torque wrench, 12 volt compressor and the repair kit in the trunk along with a set of coveralls. Often, I can repair and re-inflate the tire without taking it off the car.

Some believe a plug like I use is insufficient and the tire should be unmounted and patched from the inside but I have never had a plug fail.

Old 01-16-13, 10:16 AM
Dang. I guess that makes my middle name "not quite as prepared as Mitch". Breaker bar, poncho, and spare boots that I keep in the trunk. My "compressor" is a high pressure (110+ psi) bike pump.

I also put some plain old Keds sneakers in my wife's car, in case she has to change a tire when she's wearing fussy shoes.

Old 01-16-13, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
I also put some plain old Keds sneakers in my wife's car, in case she has to change a tire when she's wearing fussy shoes.
You have me on that one, my wife has a cell phone to call me.

Old 01-16-13, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some believe a plug like I use is insufficient and the tire should be unmounted and patched from the inside but I have never had a plug fail.
I've never had one fail either..... unless the hole was just too big, 2 plugs together don't always hold
Back in my younger days when I had to get every last mile out of a tire, I had a tire replaced and they counted 20+ plugs in the old tire

my wife has a cell phone to call me
mine too

Old 01-29-13, 07:06 AM
Update: success, eventually

I brought my two tires to the guy who said he could do them (an Exxon stn) and the guy that actually does the work said his balancer would scratch my rims. Brought the truck to another place, who said I actually need all four replaced. So another online purchase, another few days to ship, back to the second installer. The tires were just under $700 delivered, and about $100 to install, so I think we're ahead on that deal (for once).

Thanks to all for input, info, and advice!

Old 01-29-13, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Cool - thanks for the update.

Search this Thread