check oil light keeps coming on !!!!!!

Old 01-21-13, 02:48 PM
check oil light keeps coming on !!!!!!

I have a 1996 chevy cavalier when I start it up sometimes the check oil light stays on. If I cut the car off and right back on the light will stay off. I checked the dipstick and I have plenty of oil and my car is not overheating I even had my on board dash computer read and there were no codes. anyone have any idea what my problem might be and how I can fix it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 07:50 PM
yep low oil pressure(your motor is done) or bad pressure switch. locate it and see if its covered in oil. if so its leaking and bad. i have also seen where a wire rubs through and is grounding the wire to pressure switch.

Old 01-21-13, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
How many miles on the engine ?

Old 01-22-13, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could also be a bad sensor. I was going to replace the oil pump in my ford 4x4 because of low oil pressure..... until I noticed I had the same low oil pressure with the engine shut off.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-22-13, 07:22 AM
Hopefully it is only a bad oil pressure sender, but if not it sounds like it could be a major engine slug problem due to poor prior oil maintennce. If that is the case your engine will not be around much longer unless you try and clean it up with Seafoam, and pull the oil pan and make sure the oil sump filter is not plugged up.

Old 01-22-13, 09:02 AM
As I have said over and over pull the oil press switch and screw in a mechanical gauge to see whats really happening. If the pressure is OK then you have an electrical problem,if it is low you have an engine problem.