Great! Now what! 2001 Mazda Tribute issue

Old 01-21-13, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Great! Now what! 2001 Mazda Tribute issue

Wife came home from a class...car was in the sun so got a little hot. Turned on A/C and no joy.

Checked out the little I know (basically fuses, which were good) and I get no compressor engagement/cooling fan when A/C is selected. The outside temp is only about 50 degrees, but I don't think that matters.

Anything simple I can do/check before taking it to a shop? With the dishwasher repair ($70), furnace repair($370) and the car still an anchor cause I can't get the key turned....I'm getting pretty fed up. Jeez I can't afford another expensive job.

Hopefully a pressure switch or something I can jump to at least check operation?

If you can give locations of components that would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 07:46 PM
could just be low, go get you a can of r134a with a gauge. all your pressure switches will not allow it come on if its too low.

Old 01-21-13, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Yup......the combination of low freon coupled with cool ambient air.

See if the link below points you to your pressure switch for "testing."
2001 MAZDA TRIBUTE A/C Refrigerant Pressure Switch

Old 01-22-13, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, the low pressure switch has continuity with engine running. Voltage also on the wiring harness plug. Tried jumping the plug just in case. No compressor click, no cooling fan, no engine speed change.

Will check high pressure switch and check for voltage at the comp clutch (if I can reach it). Wife had to take car while I was researching. Have wiring diagrams, but on 2 diff pages naturally so hard to trace.

Just to be clear, I get NO cycling at all.

Anyone else have anything? Btw...this thing is just like a Ford Escape in case anyone has any knowledge of them.

Old 01-22-13, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Ohhhhh Could it be this easy?

There a switch in the high pressure line (I guess). It's basically activated by excessively high pressure (460 in this case). Normal or no pressure appears to leave both sets of poles closed and feed a ground on one set of contacts and 14v on the other directly to the PCM. Of course I don't know the programming, but the voltage side is directly in line with the low press switch. The other doesn't connect to anything except the PCM and ground.

The ground contacts show continuity with engine off (low press)...the other set shows an open, which will never apply a voltage to the PCM like it should in normal operation. Since the PCM actually controls the compressor via all the inputs...seems like it would detect a fault and never energize.

Going to check voltage then go to an auto parts place tomorrow and ask if I can verify operation via multimeter. If the new one reads different from mine....bingo!

Fingers crossed.

Old 01-22-13, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Disregard. I must have done something wrong this morning as I have no voltage on the output side of the low pressure switch. Switch is open when in cool mode.

Another trip to a shop I guess. Yes...I know I could try pumping more in, but I've never had much luck with that.

Search this Thread