hit gas tank to start?

Old 01-23-13, 03:58 PM
hit gas tank to start?

92 Accord DX failing to start, cranks over good but fails to start. Almost like it's not getting gas or something. Could of course be a number of things causing the problem, one thought is fuel pump gave out. This seemed to happen after the car ran completely outta gas. So I put several gallons of gas in and then got this no-start issue. Somebody told me an old trick is to try thumping fairly hard several times on the gas tank with rubber mallet or something and somehow that can get it to start. I haven't heard of this before and haven't tried it yet but was hoping for some comments on whether anybody's ever heard of doing this and why/how it might help.
Another suggestion was that perhaps I have moisture in the distributor cap, as we've had a lot of cold damp weather lately, and to check that and dry it out if need be. I can check that too but I've never had problems with moisture in the distributor cap before with this vehicle, and there's been plenty of cold and damp weather here in the past. any comments/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-13, 04:33 PM
And I used to be young and handsome.
Do you have fuel at fuel rail and plugs? Easy check on that, right?
Fuel pump is righ underneath the rear seat, you should be able to hear it buzz.
One of the most common no start reasons for Hondas of that year is failed main relay. As it controls most vital functions, including ignition and pump. You should hear 3 separate clicks coming from the dashboard, left knee level, turning key slowly.

Old 01-23-13, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, thumping the tank with a mallet or a shoe (saw that in a magazine recently) can get the pump to start again. If it does, take to the garage as it will surly fail again.

Old 01-23-13, 04:56 PM
Haven't checked yet for fuel at fuel rail, but will try when I get the chance. As far as listening for the fuel pump buzz, what do I do, just turn the key all the way on and put my ear on the rear seat and listen carefully? Same type question in regard to listening for three clicks coming from dashboard left knee level; I just turn key slowly and I should hear these three separate distinct clicks? Never noticed any clicking coming from there before, when the car was starting, but then again I never have really tried to listen for them...

Also, if I do try the ol' thump on the gas tank trick, when exactly do I do this thumping? With the key turned on, or just when the car is sitting there turned off?

Old 01-23-13, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
You can do it when the car is just sitting there, or when turning the key, when the pump is supposed to run. All you are doing is trying to get the pump motor to move off the dead spot.

Old 01-23-13, 07:01 PM
Here's answer to any Honda for that year questions. Guys did SUPERB job putting this togethewr

Starting Problems

Old 01-23-13, 07:59 PM
Thanks ukbryk for that link. Looks like some excellent info there. Will read it over, try checking some stuff, and will post back.

Old 01-24-13, 02:18 PM
Just a question. I understand the bump the pump mentality but if the pump is under rear seat and not in tank what good is a mallot to the tank?

Old 01-24-13, 02:28 PM
In my vehicle (92 Accord) the pump is apparently in the tank, according to Chilton manual, unless I am confused/mistaken about that.

Old 01-24-13, 02:54 PM
ok, then that makes sense. Are you replacing the pump?

Old 01-24-13, 03:01 PM
Hopefully is not the pump itself that's bad. Getting around to doing some troubleshooting (per link provided by ukbryk) as soon as I get a good chance. Right now I'm leaning toward the possibility that it's a failed main relay causing fuel pump not to work. But haven't quite had time yet to do much actual testing and/or close inspection. Will keep ya posted.

Last edited by sgull; 01-24-13 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-24-13, 03:16 PM
Good luck! This site has saved me tons over the years. Your in good hands.

Old 01-24-13, 05:47 PM
kerry, tank IS under the rear seat and pump IS in the tank. There should be access hole in the underbody, with seat cushion removed, and pump should be seen right in it. They are normally very easy to replace.

Old 01-24-13, 05:53 PM
Group Moderator
Boy, I wish that Chevy's pumps were the same way.

Old 01-24-13, 06:40 PM
I double-checked what my Chilton manual says about removing the fuel pump for this vehicle (92 Accord), and it states "On 1990-95 Accords, it is necessary to remove the fuel tank first" to gain access to the fuel pump (within the tank). It makes absolutely no mention of removing the seat cushion and having any access that way to any cover/hole there to gain access to the pump. It does however describe that on earlier Accords (1986-89) and Preludes (1988-95) that there is an access cover in the floor under the carpet of the "luggage area" through which to remove/install the fuel pump which is also with the tank.

Old 01-24-13, 11:20 PM
Update: I went ahead and pulled the main relay to take a look at it. The circuit board on the relay had several, four or five anyway, obviously "dry" cracked solder joints just as pictured/described included via the link ukrbyk provided (as shown here: When the Main Relay goes bad). Symptoms as described and what I was experiencing were identical, so I'm absolutely convinced after seeing my relay that it's the culprit. I checked around and can obtain a new replacement relay for less than 40 bucks. Other alternative is to resolder the bad joints, but I don't really have proper stuff nor enough experience to be feel confident doing that myself. Hey thanks again ukrbyk for that link, man! Thanks all for help/advice here. A good experience for me.

Old 01-25-13, 06:02 PM
Got it out, hah? How's the knuckles? They do tuck them in tight into small place, don't they?
That's one of great advantages for those years Hondas - ABUNDANT cheap parts.

Old 01-25-13, 07:30 PM
Speaking of cheap, instead of ordering the $40 new part (through ebay, the cheapest price for a new one I could find, vs $55 via amazon, vs as high as $129 through local auto parts stores here), I decided to check with a local electronics repair person to see if he could re-solder the bad/poor joints on the board for a reasonable price. He re-soldered it quite nicely just as described here: Relay Repair and did a good professional job, did up each joint probably good as new or likely even better. Ten bucks he charged. So ten bucks later (and a little less skin on my knuckles) the ol' Honda fires right up now.

Old 01-26-13, 06:26 PM
Glad I could help.
You are a cheapskate, man.

Old 01-26-13, 06:41 PM
Actually I was really hoping I could get 'r goin' with the ol' bang-on-the-gas-tank trick. That would've been even cheaper.

Old 01-27-13, 08:27 AM
no, THAT would have cost you mucho dinero, mas grande, after caught stranded somewhere in the woods.
Don't fix it
If it ain't brok
If it's brok
FIX IT RIGHT AWAY.

Old 01-27-13, 09:53 AM
Yo bromeo. Reparar correcto. Muchas gracias de nuevo.

Old 01-27-13, 06:37 PM
i actually installed a high powered sound system(that i already had) in my crown vic. to keep my fuel pump going to save some cash. every time it wouldn't start id crank the radio and it would thump the pump to get it going. it worked for a full 2 years, until the pump got so bad it started blowing fuses.

Old 01-27-13, 07:50 PM
That's funny. So you're a cheapskate too eh? Two of a kind we are. I like your avatar there too bro! lol