Jeep is making a whistling sound

Old 01-24-13, 05:55 PM
Jeep is making a whistling sound

Within the last week or so, my 2004 Jeep Wrangler has been making an odd sound. It's a constant, high-pitched whistling that stops when the gas pedal is pushed and then resumes when the gas pedal is released. Braking has no affect on it. The whistling will happen whether in motion or at a red light and is loud enough to be heard inside and outside of the car (I don't know where the source is).

The strange thing is that the whistling starts after about 3 minutes of driving and will go away on its own a few minutes later. For example, if I go for a 15 minute drive, the whistling will only last from minute 3 to minute 8.

Today I was driving around and then went shopping for an hour or so, and when I drove back home there was no whistling sound (car didn't have a chance to cool down?).

Any ideas on what this could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-13, 05:59 PM
Does it whistle a pleasant tune?
Where does it come from? Try pin pointing it, don't tell me it's not possible. You should be able to have general direction, at least. front, back, left right?
My wife's RX300 whistles in motion after 50 mph, but I know it's weatherstripping on hatch.
You have high flow air leak somewhere. Likely something metallic, so that it warms up - whistles - expands more - whistle goes away.
Vacuum leak. Air intake.

Old 01-24-13, 06:09 PM
I think it's coming from the front. I'll have to thoroughly check in the morning. PA just got hit with a cold front right around the time the whistling started, so your theory sounds about right.

Old 01-25-13, 11:54 AM
A vacuum leak is a common cause of a whistle at idle. Usaly just takes some tightening of a surface to surface mating of two cast items in the intake area. Or you may need a new gasket on that area.

Old 01-25-13, 01:54 PM
I narrowed down the source of the sound as best I could today. It seems to be coming from the front-center of the car (under/behind the radiator).

Old 01-25-13, 02:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could it be a squeal from either the fan belt or pulleys? I used to have an old cherokee with the 4.0. Mine squealed on and off for the entire 10 yrs I owned it. Have talked to others with the 4.0 that had the same issue I'm not sure when they quit using the 4.0 - is your's a straight six or V6?

Old 01-25-13, 06:00 PM
OOhh, I do not quite like if it comes from radiator area. Steam, you know. Pinhole somewhere, that closes, as metal expands.
Garden hose works great as stethoscope, btw.

Old 01-26-13, 05:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I was thinking vacuum leak at PCV or EGR, but front of engine doesn't sound happy. My Cummins has that ominous whine that goes up and down with engine speed, but I know it is the turbo. Someone before me probably pulled the silencer out.

Search this Thread