plug transmission cooler line?

Old 02-02-13, 12:07 PM
plug transmission cooler line?

Getting ready to remove the radiator on my 92 Accord. Need to disconnect then plug the line that connects to the automatic transmission cooler. Any quick neat way to do that? I don't really have any corks or anything like that around. I guess maybe the auto parts store might have a plug thing for that, but if I can do it without having to go spend money on that, then I'd rather. any comment/advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-13, 03:32 PM
I keep a box of golf tees around to plug various lines. These shouldnt leak unless you start the vehicle.

Old 02-02-13, 03:38 PM
Thanks. Seems like I've heard of using golf tees for such before, but never tried it. Wish I had a golf tee around. I'll have to get one, from somebody.

Old 02-02-13, 03:59 PM
You will need two golf tees, one for each tube.

Or, use a piece of appropriately sized rubber tubing to connect the two tubes together.

Old 02-02-13, 04:31 PM
we normally used a suitable bolt screwed into the hose and line clamped over it, with same hose clamp.

Old 02-04-13, 12:17 PM
For the past 40 years, I've collected a small box of plugs for this very reason. I have a plastic or rubber cap for nearly every task that calls for one.

Old 02-04-13, 12:51 PM
the rubber hose idea is generally fairly good because it's not uncommon to have lengths of hose laying around from older projects. That's what I'd try in your situation.

Old 02-04-13, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get 'er plugged now.

Old 02-04-13, 04:50 PM
The days when I worked on automobiles ended about three decades ago but prior to that I only knew of two methods used to connect transmission cooler lines to a radiator. One had the inverted flare fittings on the steel lines from the transmission to matching fittings in the bottom radiator tank (cooler internal) and the other used short pieces of synthetic rubber tubing to connect the ends of the transmission lines to stub-outs from the cooler mounted in the radiator bottom tank. Either method was conducive to using the rubber tube, golf tees or other such methods to temporarily close off the cooler lines.

Old 02-04-13, 08:51 PM
what i do is simple and no extra needed parts. two lines disconnect one from trans and one from rad. reconnect side still attached rad/trans to opposite side.

Old 02-04-13, 08:57 PM
You lost me there iceman. Having trouble following that, don't get it.

Old 02-04-13, 10:31 PM
I think iceman is referring to removing the short rubber tubing connectors between the transmission steel tubes. Remove one rubber connector at the radiator and remove the other rubber connector at the transmission tubing. bend the rubber connector still connected to the transmission tubing over and connect it to the tubing that has its rubber connector still attached to the radiator.

Of course this only works if you have the rubber tube connectors.

Old 02-04-13, 10:53 PM
Ok Furd I can picture that now. Thanks. Mine has the inverted flare fittings on the steel lines though, and not the rubber tube connectors described. Still haven't gotten around to removing the radiator yet, but when I do I'll be ready with one of the other methods suggested here to plug those lines.

Old 02-05-13, 07:56 PM
never new a 92 accord to have steel lines?

Attached Images  
Old 02-05-13, 08:14 PM
I stand corrected iceman! My comment about having steel lines was based on an incorrect assumption. My bad. Thanks!