SUV recommendations

Old 02-04-13, 01:20 PM
SUV recommendations

My daughter with 3 kids is looking for a SUV that is dependable, and reasonably priced. $20000-$25000
4 wheel,or all wheel drive is a must as she lives in the wild suburbs. Something probably mid-size,preferably new,or year old.
There are so many SUV's out there, that prompts me to ask the experts here for some suggestions.

Thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-13, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Have to be an SUV? I talked my wife out of a SUV several years ago and into a minivan and she's been thrilled with it.

Cheaper cost to buy and own, IMO.

Old 02-04-13, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Max of $25K for a midsize SUV? Boy...thats going to be tough. Maybe on a used one...but not just a year old. Most mid-size (Explorer, Sorento, Enclave, etc) go for about $35K new it seems, unless someone can avoid all the options.

Drop down to a smaller one like a RAV or a CR-V.....maybe. Plenty of room for her needs.

I agree a van is a good option...thinking about one of the small ones for our next purchase.

Old 02-04-13, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
I would suggest looking at a crossover type vehicle. Better fuel mileage, lower cost, more of a car like ride and handleing, optional all wheel drive, and you can still get a a crap load of stuff in them!

I tend to buy US so I would look at the Chevy Equinox, Ford Edge, GMC Terrain, Ford Escape.

Other options non-US to look at is Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe, or Kia Sportage and Sorento. Both have quite good warranties that is hard not to look at.

Old 02-04-13, 03:34 PM
Wild suburbs? Unless it is an area that has mostly dirt or gravel roads there is likely no reason whatsoever for either four-wheel or all-wheel drive. All the suburban areas of which I am aware have had paved roads for decades. Most of the people I have known over the years that had four-wheel drive vehicles never took them out of two-wheel drive.

Old 02-04-13, 04:28 PM
All good comments. I've known from experience to trust the folks here.

I guess my price range is from a different time.

my daughter is driving a Honda CR-V that is 11 years old and worn out. With 3 little ones and all the stuff she hauls around
the CR-V was perfect,but she says she needs a little more room.

I'll pass all your suggestions along to her,and thanks to everyone who responded

Old 02-04-13, 06:02 PM
Well, just get a newer Cr-V. Can't beat them on reliability, and 3rd gen is much larger inside. And it's go everywhere vehicle. Not sure which gen your daughter has, there was a major leap between 1st and 3nd gens, and between 3rd and 4th. Overall size and cargo capacity.
Bet ya half the stuff she carries around is unnecessary.

Old 02-04-13, 06:05 PM
Daaa-hh

2011 Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD AT with Navigati21,00ml

2007 CRV Honda CR-V EX (AWD) 45,xxxml

So what it's rebuilt? We bought one for our friend, well, I scoped it ans she paid, back in 07 or so - still runs without problems. Gives much bargaining power though. We had several cars off Craigslist with rebuilt titles, none had issues.

Old 02-05-13, 05:25 AM
I've been looking for a small SUV or crossover to replace our aging Dodge Caravan. I do not want another Dodge, so a van is really out.
My requirements are similar to your daughters (price differs a bit though as us Canadians get screwed), so here is the list in that group that I'm looking at (note, some models are higher end as the wife wants something nice).
- Mitsubishi Outlander (GT model prefered)
- Subaru Outlander
- Subaru Forester
- Hyundai Santa Fe (not high end model, can't get roof rack with top model)
- Kia Sportage
- Toyota Rav4

If it wasn't for the issues with the panoramic sunroof on the Hyundai Santa Fe's top models making a roof rack a non-option, the features, fuel millage for the price would see the Hyundai at the top of my list. I need a roof rack with kids to haul the kayaks, canoes and what not.
Ford would be on the list, but way too expensive for the features.
The Subaru Outlander would be at the top of the list (better third row setup then the Mitsubishi and bit more simple engine bay layout), but the dealer lost the same the first minute I was in the dealer. The Mitsubishi also has too many features in the GT model I don't want, but you have the take them if you want the S-AWD system and the other features the wife wanted.

Old 02-05-13, 05:53 AM
Just picked up a 2012 CR-V and love it. Two of my kids have 06 and 07 models and no problems. We have a lot of bad roads in the winter so enjoy either 4WD or the AWD. The CRV allows us to select either. Way over priced as they are selling like mad, but there was no shopping around as that is what the wife wanted. The payback will come 10 years from now when we add up the operating costs. For the two of us, reliable, go anywhere transportation, is part of enjoying Maine.

Bud

Old 02-05-13, 06:42 AM
Well,as usual,You folks here have come through again.

Many thanks for your inputs, as you have made the buying process less painful.

I will pass on all your recommendations ,and remarks to my daughter.

Thanks again

daswede

Old 02-05-13, 06:59 PM
Well, we had 3 genuine Mitsubishes, and 2 Mitsubishi alikes, Eclipses. One of them actually went all the way close to 300 000 miles before she died.

ALL OF THEM were oil takers. Every single one, new or old. Just my 2 cents. I once drove behind one of those large Mitsu SUV's, Montero, I believe, with still new car dealer paper sticker on the window. Driver stepped on it - and sure enough, there's dark cloud of burnt oil outta da tail pipe.

Old 02-06-13, 05:38 AM
Well, we had 3 genuine Mitsubishes, and 2 Mitsubishi alikes, Eclipses. One of them actually went all the way close to 300 000 miles before she died.

ALL OF THEM were oil takers. Every single one, new or old. Just my 2 cents. I once drove behind one of those large Mitsu SUV's, Montero, I believe, with still new car dealer paper sticker on the window. Driver stepped on it - and sure enough, there's dark cloud of burnt oil outta da tail pipe.
If it was dark smoke and not blue in color, it's more then likely that engine runs rich.
A lot of engines side to the rich mixture. My summer car runs pig rich until in the mid to high RPM range at full boost.
The big thing that put the mitsu at the top of our list was the hp to fuel millage from a naturally asperated engine.