Oil filter: OEM or aftermarket (and which one)?

Old 02-07-13, 01:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil filter: OEM or aftermarket (and which one)?

Hi!

I am sure it's been discussed to death but a quick search did not find a definitive answer. Should I use OEM or aftermarket oil filter in a 2000 Honda Accord Lx 5spd 2.3L? It is not a new car, not on warranty, and has ~140M on it.

I am hoping to save a few bucks but not if it is dangerous for the engine. So, do you guys think that an aftermarket oil filter can be ok or OEM is a must?

If aftermarket, which one?

Old 02-07-13, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I can't believe anyone would ever buy a dealer/OEM filter. The markup is crazy and are the same as some you can buy on the regular market...with a few exceptions. I normally use Fram or Purolator. I DON'T use the cheapest store brands. I doubt any are dangerous...but some are better than others. On an old engine I'd think flow is more important than filtering ability.

I have a vehicle which no oil change place has a filter for...so I bring my own. I don't do my own anymore...too much work and bad knees...I'll pay the $18 or so.

I swear I used to have a site bookmarked that cut up and analyzed filter construction...but I can't find it.

Old 02-07-13, 02:22 PM
C
Thanks! FRAM it is then.

Old 02-07-13, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
There are differences even within brands...Purolator has several that I know of. No matter what...more than $10 is too much in my opinion and more like $7 is reasonable.

Old 02-07-13, 02:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I've always used Fram and I've had cars go past 250,000 miles, not one ever had an issue with the engine (other than the Honda Prelude where I didn't change the timing belt...).

Old 02-07-13, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
I stopped using any filter with paper ends years ago.... such as fram.... Years ago fram was good. Those types are prone to colapseing when they get clogged.

I use the purolators classic or proline. Mobil 1 when onsale.

They did away with all those cut away sites. I believe it was some legal crude going on.

The OEM's are paper ended from what I researched.

I found this.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

This

Conclusions - Oil Filtration Comparisons From the Workbench

Here shows the fram exgaurd as best.... HMMMMM

Untitled Document

Old 02-07-13, 07:03 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Old 02-08-13, 05:16 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I've used Fram for almost all my vehicles.
The only exception is my summer car, which I'll use Mobil 1 filters.
I've never had a motor go so I can't say anything bad about my oil or filter choice.

Old 02-08-13, 05:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've never spent extra for oil filters and have never had any issues with the cheaper filter but I do change the oil regularly! I suspect the difference between the cheap and better filters will show up IF you go too long between oil changes.

I mostly use STP or Fram - mainly because that's the filter that comes with the AZ Valvoline oil change specials.

Old 02-08-13, 06:11 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Bob Is The Oil Guy has one of the best oil filter forums I have found.

Grab a coffee and plan on spending some quality time there.

Oil Filters - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 02-08-13, 12:58 PM
J
I am a Ford parts manager and will tell you Ford OE filters are superior to aftermarket but you do pay a premium. But, you can Ford (Motorcraft) filters at Walmart, Autozone, etc cheaper than I sell them. If I were to buy an aftermarket filter, I would use a NAPA Gold due to the drainback valve they use. And I have used aftermarket filters on my vehicles with no issues.

Old 02-08-13, 01:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Ford OE filters are superior to aftermarket
Can you give us some detail why this is so?

Old 02-08-13, 02:02 PM
J
Ideally it is the materials used such as the filtering media and seals. I mentioned the NAPA gold filters. They are one of the few the have the anti-drain back valve. We have to take a bunch of classes for Ford and one of them does a side by side comparison of the filters. Like I said before I have used aftermarket filters and had no issues.

Old 02-08-13, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Well...jpr...I think every filter in post 7 has anti-drainback valves...though I didn't check them all...just 1/2 or so.

Not faulting you...I've had plenty of instructors feed me a line as well. When I called them on it they just back-pedaled and hemmed and hawed. I had a Marine instructor provide wrong info and say he was an NRA certified gunsmith... Well, the NRA doesn't do that and his info was completely wrong....but its what he was told as true, so he went with it.

Old 02-24-13, 07:39 PM
G
I get the Motorcraft 820S oil filter at WalMart as well as the 5w20 Motorcraft semi synthetic oil for my 2005 F150 5.4. F150 forums seem to have the opinion that the filter and oil choice is important on this model engine with the cam phaser system they use.

On my 88 Isuzu Trooper 2.6L and the Toyota Corolla I use Purolator Classics. No particular reason other than most articles I've read on filters rate Purolator as one of the better filter mfrs. And so far they're still made in USA! One site said they made the Motorcraft filters also but I don't know for sure.

Old 02-25-13, 03:50 PM
A
Gastorms1,

I’m not going back to read all the other answers, but with regard to your question, I’ve been ASE CERTIFIED for 33 years, and the ONLY filter I have EVER used is the “Purolator (Pure One) series filter”.

The Pure ONE consistently performs at the top when it comes to filtering capability. The paper/fiber element has more filtering material and surface area than other filters and internal construction is very good. There are some concerns about oil restriction because the filter element is so dense, and if you have a high performance engine, the Pure One’s excellent filtering capability, high quality construction, and affordable price make it a top overall pick.

Thank You
Amy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: