Squeaking 1996 Mercury Marquis

Old 02-08-13, 05:08 PM
Squeaking 1996 Mercury Marquis

Recently I had the front ball joints replaced on both sides. They have been greased. However, the body itself has a squeak in it when I hit a bump or turn a corner. When I get in or get out of the car, it squeaks. I can push down on the fender, front or back and is does the same. I have squirted oil every place I can think of, but that doesn't seem to stop it. I only have 84,000 miles on the car and it has been well cared for. This squeaking started about the same time the ball joints started popping. Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get my quieter riding car back?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 08:09 PM
Ball joints. Yes, I read your post. I had exactly same issue with Ford Ranger - getting in and out, and nasty squeak when front driver side wheel goes up and down. I cut zirks into ball joints, pumped lube in, and that was it.
You have McPherson's, right? So it's lower BJs only?
Another thing that is notorious to squeak is control arm bushings. Squirting oil ONTO things never worked for me.

Old 02-08-13, 08:20 PM
96 has both upper and lower ball joints. was all 4 replaced? also outer tie-rod ends love to make the squeak noises on these style of cars. 60% of the time they only start squeaking after they created some play in their movement. i would have it checked out before it breaks.

Old 02-09-13, 03:44 AM
Thanks. The ball joints have lub zirks so I'll pump some more grease into each one. Hopefully that will heal my squeaks.

Old 02-09-13, 07:04 AM
tie rod ends don't squeak whilst getting in and out of the car. It's something in control arms, ball joints or bushings; or sway bar bushings.
Zirks can be real tough to press lube through, esp on the vehicle. Goes down to very strong hands and good grease gun. Lube must to come out of dust boot bottom, not around zirk itself.
You can try what my buddy does. He takes a hose and sprays joints in question with water. Yep. It removes squeak temporarily, but points at the joint in question.
I remember from that Ranger times, it took me a while to have it pin pointed down to ball joint. T'was lower driver one.

Old 02-09-13, 01:20 PM
Sorry iceman681, I don't think I answered your question. Both top and bottom replaced on both sides. I got a good brand with the grease fittings. My son is going to borrow the car in March to go from TN to OK, so I want it to be a quiet ride for him. I'll see if I can get my hand held grease gun on it and make sure the grease flows out of the boot. Drive it for a few miles and then do it again. The mechanic told me that the tie rods were OK as well as the control arm and sway bar. But I'll make sure before he takes a 1,200 mile trip. The car only has 83,000 miles on it and has been well taken care of by my brother-in-law. I've had it about a year now.