new ignition rotor wrong fit

Old 02-10-13, 05:57 PM
new ignition rotor wrong fit

I recently purchased a Bosch 04295 distributor rotor for my '92 Accord DX 2.2L. Upon installation I discovered it is for a different fit, so won't work on my distributor. Here's a side-by-side comparison, the one on the right is the new Bosch replacement and the one on the left is my old one: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps01e67a79.jpg
The old one fits fine on the distributor shaft; the shaft has that same tooth configuration that the old rotor fits onto. The new one won't fit on because the opening or hole or whatever you wanna call it is too small to fit onto the shaft, the fairly obvious difference you can see there in my picture.
I double checked several sources and the Bosch 04295 rotor is supposed to fit my Accord. So what's the deal I wonder? Why the difference here?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-13, 06:49 PM
they ran two different distributors on those cars . one called a TEC not sure wht the other was called. look on your cap. if it says TEC then you need that style rotor.

Old 02-10-13, 11:38 PM
Okay. I took a look on the cap I just replaced, but it doesn't say TEC on it. It seems like if there were two different distributors that came with these cars, and each used a different style rotor, that there should have been that distinction to choose from when ordering/purchasing the rotor from parts sources. That distinction wasn't there when I ordered the rotor The only info they wanted was make, model, year, and engine size. They didn't ask if it had a TEC or not.

Old 02-11-13, 10:44 AM
For what it's worth here's a few photos of the distributor with the cap and rotor off. It is an aftermarket distributor I recall from quite a few years back I had a shop install it. I don't know what brand it is, and the only identification is a sticker there with numbers on it which is probably unhelpful for purposes of further identification of manufacturer/brand.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps6a41b00f.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps9673b28a.jpg
Thanks for any further assistance/suggestions so that I might be able to obtain the proper replacement rotor for this distributor.

Old 02-11-13, 05:10 PM
Just a thought from looking at your photo's of the rotor. The photo on the right, new rotor, shows a metal insert where as the rotor on the left doesn't show that metal insert. So if the new one is the correct one, and it does look close. Is is possible that when removing the old one rotor it's metal insert stayed on the distributor thus making it impossible for the new rotor to fit on correctly. Take a close look at where the rotor slides on. good luck.

Old 02-11-13, 06:01 PM
Kev91, I thought about that too, the possibility of that you mentioned. But no, the shaft end on my distributor has those same "teeth" (or whatever you might call them) around its outer circumference which correspond to and fit snugly into the opposite teeth on the inner circumference of my old rotor hole. I'm fairly convinced it's two different designs of rotor, for two similar but not quite identical distributors that fit this car. thanks

Old 02-11-13, 07:08 PM
looking at that pic kev 91 is right. the gray metal on the shaft of the distributor does not belong on it. if you remove it youll see your new will fit.

Old 02-11-13, 07:18 PM
Yeah! You and Kev91 are right. Of course! I can see it now. I'll go out right now and remove that gray metal on the end of the shaft and put my new rotor on. Thanks, this was blowing my mind.

Search this Thread