96 nissan pathfinder heater blows warn air only

Old 02-25-13, 08:38 PM
96 nissan pathfinder heater blows warn air only

My 96 nissan pathfinder heater blows warm air only even if the control is set to maximum. It wasn't like this a few months ago. The aircon works fine. what shall i do before i bring to a mechanic?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-13, 09:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When was the last time you replaced the thermostat; checked the coolant level or had the system drained and refilled.
Could be a worn out thermostat or air in the coolant system or even sludged up tubing in the heater core.

Old 02-26-13, 07:40 AM
As gold star stated make sure the cooling system is full,circulating,and up to temp. You can check with a candy thermometer for temp. Feel the heater hoses they should both be hot,if not your heater core is plugged. Flush it out with garden hose. If all above checks out you may have control/damper problems.

Old 02-26-13, 08:55 AM
Retrofixx,

Are both radiator hoses and both heater hoses equal in temperature?

In other words are ALL the hoses getting WARM or are they getting HOT?

REGARDLESS of warm or hot do the hoses feel equal in temperature to the TOUCH?

Have you "Ruled Out" one or more "Air PocKets" within the cooling system?

Are any "Error Codes" set? If there are post those codes numbers so they can be seen.

Thank You
Amy

Old 02-26-13, 09:19 PM
where can i find the heater hose? So far there are no error codes displayed.

Old 02-27-13, 06:32 AM
Not being a smart a** but if you can't find the heater hoses you better take it to a shop.

Old 02-27-13, 09:11 AM
Retrofixx,

There are two heater hoses (send and return). They exit the firewall and attach to the engine. You said that there are no error codes displayed, but how are you checking for error codes? Use the link below, or go to Auto Zone and they will read the error codes for you for FREE.

http://www.troublecodes.net/Nissan/

Ignore the "Check Engine Light". In other words do a scan for error codes even if the Check engine light is off or not coming on. Also, your vehicle has a "CTS" (Coolant Temperate Sensor) you should make sure that the electrical circuit for the CTS has continuity. Also check the wire connector at the CTS. Make sure itís on tight and free of all dirt, rust and corrosion

Thank You
Amy

Old 02-27-13, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
AMY FIX 62, do you work for Autozone by chance? You seem to be pushing them an awful lot in your posts.

Old 02-27-13, 03:21 PM
Shadeladie,

I donít work for Auto Zone. Iím a "Certified ASE Master Mechanic" who owns two repair shops. When I mention Auto Zone in my answers itís because (of all) the chain type auto part stores (and repair) shops that do FREE error code scans, Auto Zone is the most professional

Thank You
Amy

Old 02-27-13, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
I mention them a lot, too. Pretty good guys usually (I'll stop over there tomorrow for my commission ).

Old 02-17-14, 08:25 PM
Having same issue with my pathfinder this winter - not blowing very hot air

Both hoses to and from heater core and upper radiator hose are hot Lower radiator hose is cold. temperature on gauge in dash is not as hot as it used to be. Needle used to be almost 1/2 way between cold and hot - now it's a 1/4 above cold. Does that point to thermostat? Not sure I want to do all that work if that's not it. Any ideas would be appreciated!