1998 Grand Cherokee battery discharges

Old 03-10-13, 03:56 PM
1998 Grand Cherokee battery discharges

My daughter has a 1998 Grand Cherokee and the battery goes dead after sitting 2 days. I have used a meter between battery neg. and the battery and found that if I remove the 50 amp mux/tow fuse under the hood in the power distribution box it stops drawing power. If I leave the fuse out the battery is still good for a week or more. I can start the car and run without the fuse but I have no gauges . I think it also powers the body control module. Any ideas where I can start looking.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-11-13 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Typo fix
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-13, 07:29 PM
first you have to make sure you let the car sit for atleast 45 mins. the body control modual takes some time to power down. what amps are you pulling? check the vanity mirrors in the visors(the doors love to break leaving the lights on) very common problem. next step would be to get your self a wiring diagam and start unplugging till you find the cause.

Old 03-11-13, 07:07 AM
Are you sure that you in fact have a parasitic draw on the battery? How old is the battery and have you had it tested? Security systems for one thing if installed will create a constant draw and a weak battery, or one with a cell going out will give similar issues around battery drain. If none of the typical areas around mirrors, glove box, doors, etc. are not the issue start with having the battery condition confirmed first.

Old 03-12-13, 04:17 AM
bperry,

Just to be sure you are doing it correctly, watch the video in the link below for ruling out a "Parasitic Draw" on the battery. Also be sure you have your meter set on "Amps" and not "Volts". Many folks make that mistake.

Thank You
Amy

How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

Old 03-13-13, 05:34 AM
I have replaced the battery so I know it is good. I have removed interrior light bulbs . glove box light bulb and attempted to remove one fuse at a time inside and still have the draw. not sure how many amps do not have a meter that will read amps just voltage and ohms. I have waited as much as 24 hours and still have the draw.

Old 03-13-13, 03:12 PM
Remember your vehicle has two fuse boxes. Inside at the lower right kick panel and also in the engine compartment. If you want to continue to find and correct the cause yourself I think that you really do need to get access to an amp meter, and follow the video approach one fuse at a time in both fuse panels. If not it is hit and miss, and most likely miss. Electrical issues are often some of the hardest to sort out.

Search this Thread