Oil Changes

Old 03-19-13, 07:13 PM
Oil Changes

Is it necessary to change your filter every time you change your oil?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-13, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
I would consider it necessary. It's basically inexpensive protection for the engine.

Old 03-19-13, 08:25 PM
Necessary, no. You'll leave about 20% of dirty oil in your engine however.

Would you only flush your toilet 80%?

Change it.

Old 03-19-13, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
I would compare changing the oil and not changing the filter to taking a shower and then putting the same dirty clothes back on.

I agree that it's not "necessary", but for $4, I like the piece of mind of knowing my new clean oil isn't going to be diluted with 10% old dirty oil, or is running through a dirty filter. IMO, you want to remove those impurities every time. My '02 F-150 has 227,700 miles and counting... and isn't burning oil yet.

Old 03-20-13, 03:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator

I would compare changing the oil and not changing the filter to taking a shower and then putting the same dirty clothes back on
That's a good one

Way back when oil changes were every 2k miles and the oil cost a quarter per quart and the filter a $1 we used to only change the filter every other oil change. I would never consider doing that today. Changing your oil/filter on a regular basis is probably the main single thing you can do to give your engine a long life!

Old 03-20-13, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
If you had to choose to between the oil or the filter, you might be better off changing the filter and keeping the oil.

Old 03-20-13, 04:27 AM
Queballj,

Change your oil and filter every 3000 miles. Use a quality name brand oil and filter. I use Castrol GTX oil and Purolator Pure One filters.

Don't believe those that tell you the 3000 mile rule is dead.

It's not!!!

The rule is alive and well and NECESSARY more today than it ever was.

Thank You
Amy

Old 03-20-13, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. My wrecker (5.7L Chevy) gets changed every 5,000 miles (Wal-Mart store-brand synthetic) and is running strong at 210,000 (Jasper remann engine); stay tuned for how many more miles I get on it. Running a tow truck in Florida is well beyond "severe" service.

Some interesting reading:

Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com

Check your number for proper oil change interval

Old 03-20-13, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
If you had to choose to between the oil or the filter, you might be better off changing the filter and keeping the oil.
I remember when synthetic oil first started to be commonly used, a few of people I knew would spin on a new filter between oil changes, changing the oil only a couple times a year.

Old 03-20-13, 05:51 PM
At the price of vehicles,and repairs, why anyone would entertain not changing an oil filter blows my mind.

Old 03-21-13, 11:54 AM
Is it necessary to change your filter every time you change your oil?

What does your owner's manual say?

My 1993 Honda recommended a new filter every other oilchange.

The OLM on my Chev Uplander runs out about 7k miles. Regular oil (not synthetic) SM/SN 5W-30 is all that is required. Anything more is a "want" .. not a "need". New filter required.

The 3,000 mile oil change died decades ago with fuel injection and better oils.

Do what the manual tells you. Anything more is waste to the avearge driver.

All the best.

Bob R

Old 03-21-13, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
The only thing a 3000mi oil change does is put more money in the hands of the shop doing it which comes out of your pocket. Or the retailer where you buy your supplies...if you DIY.

Many new cars have oil life monitoring systems that tell you when to change, based on your driving. Seems I just read a test review of some brand (Audi? BMW?) and their first oil change came at 12000 miles.

Since many manufacturers are now doing 60K, 80K or even 100K driveline warranties...if their vehicles needed more oil changes to stay within warranty...they'd be putting it in the manual.

Older (20+ years) high mileage vehicles with looser tolerance engines might indeed benefit longevity wise....but why throw away good money when it's not needed.

As to the filter every change...an extra $5 or so is well worth it.

All the above in just my opinion. But I've read many similar opinions.

Old 03-21-13, 12:22 PM
That's what I understood. I've seen a couple of older owners' manuals that actually called for the filter to be replaced twice as often as the oil itself, and after changing the filter, check the level and top up.

Old 03-21-13, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The thing to remember about scheduled oil changes is the service duty. Most car manufactures state a long time between changes unless you drive what they call severe service - stop and go, short runs, etc. which requires changing the oil more often. I don't know if they would/could refuse warranty service if you only went with the longer change intervals but fell under the severe service guideline.

Old 03-27-13, 04:22 PM
Some great opinions here regarding the wisdom in replacing the oil filter at every oil change.

I totally agree its cheap insurance in insuring your engine lasts as long as possible. I might also add that the change interval specified in your owner's manual is probably the longest you want to go between changes. For example, my '05 F150 calls for changes every 5k miles. However, I just dumped my old oil this last time with only 2500 mi since the last change due to noticing the light brown goo under my filler cap that indicates some moisture building up in the engine due to the relatively short trip intervals and winter temps which prevents this moisture from being effectively "burned off."

I use Motorcraft 5w20 SemiSynthetic and Motorcraft filters exclusively as recommended in the manual. I normally average 3-4000 mi between changes.

Old 04-07-13, 02:30 PM
Check your owners manual but I will say it is a cheap investment if you figure on the $8 for a good filter.

DiWoW

Old 04-07-13, 05:54 PM
I came to say what the_tow_guy said. Modern synthetic oil lasts very long and typically gets dirty before it breaks down.

Old 10-14-13, 04:37 PM
My oil light bar tells me...

I also have to disagree with the person who said the 3000 mi oil change is necessary.

My oil changes last me about 9000 miles. I have zero leaks...zero ticks, knocks or noises.

I have a 1995 BMW 318i & this thing runs amazingly smooth & quiet. I just had my oil changed this past weekend & at 265000 miles, I think she's got quite a bit more life left in her.

When I see this on my light bar (not my photo, but my dash is the same)

...I know it's time to get my oil. I have used nothing but fully synthetic since I got the car in 07. I buy my filters online 3 at a time.

After my oil change, I reset the lightbar & I'm good to go.

Old 10-15-13, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
I have a buddy who drops $35 for an analysis of the old oil every time he gets an oil change. Keep in mind this is a diesel truck, but he went 15,000 miles on the last change and the analysis was good enough the lab suggested trying 16,500 miles before the next change.

I'm paying $20 for an oil change so I don't think I'll do this but he pays over $100 so increasing the interval makes more of a change in his cash flow.

Old 10-16-13, 05:17 AM
I'd change it every 3.000 miles or so. No matter what the owners' manual says about it.

Old 10-16-13, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
OK, Dave - why?

Old 10-16-13, 04:56 PM
I can tell you how long they will run with no oil changes. Local bought his wife a new van and left it up to her to take care of it. He drove a truck and was gone most of the time. Well she thought all you had to do was drive. At 38K the motor blew.