Trooper Drivability Issues

Old 04-08-13, 09:08 PM
Trooper Drivability Issues

We have a 1988 Isuzu Trooper II , 2.6L auto trans, that is suddenly having problems. It's got 193K on it but only about 18K on a reman engine.

After running great a couple weeks ago(the last time I personally drove it), its really hard to start now and lit up almost every warning light on the dash cluster when started. Weird ones like "oil temp." (Transmission) It would not idle and you had to 2 foot it brake and accelerator to drive it.

I was convinced it was the fuel pump going out so decided to order a new Bosch pump. While waiting for it to arrive, I replaced the O2 sensor since it was overdue and the fuel filter. I checked all through the engine looking for bad or unplugged vacuum lines and they all seem ok. Drained the gas and replaced the pump yesterday. Still running poorly.

I'm now wondering if maybe there was water in the tank as the fuel I drained seemed to look pretty cloudy. This Trooper is not driven all that much and we usually only fill the tank maybe once a month.

After reinstalling the tank, I put about 7 gallons of fresh gas in it. The check engine light was flashing off and on driving it the last time and it showed a 44 code when I read the OBD1 ECM.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-13, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Today's gas, with ethanol will cloud up badly, as you seem to indicate. Is there any gas near you that is ethanol free?? You may try using it instead, since the car isn't run that much.

What does the book say a code 44 is? All of mine are OBDII, so I don't have the codes for OBDI. Is that the only code? Seems with all the lights going on and off, there should be more.

Old 04-09-13, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
I just did a look up on my favorite site for codes and it says 44 is:

O2S Lean

Fuel Metering{9}

{9}—Amigo, Pickup, Rodeo & Trooper w/2.6L engine & 1988–91 Impulse

Old 08-21-13, 10:48 AM
The problem with this Trooper not wanting to idle turned out to be a hole the size of a half dollar(big vacuum leak!) in the hard plastic pipe in the intake air tract. Temporarily closed it with electrical tape and the Trooper idles/runs great again. I want to make a more permanent repair to the hole. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to use to patch the hole? It needs to be air tight of course.