2002 Explorer Heat/AC Air Flow Directional Control

Old 04-11-13, 03:14 AM
2002 Explorer Heat/AC Air Flow Directional Control

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and for some reason I'm unable to regulate from where the heat/AC air will blow. That is, when I rotate the dash control knob, it doesn't really change from where the air is coming from. It seems to come from all the dash vents, defroster vent & floor vent no matter what position the knob is in.
When I rotate the knob into it's various positions, I can hear the faint sound of a door/flap moving but it doesn't seem to change the location of the air flow.

Any ideas?

As always, I appreciate any and all help!

Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 09:08 PM
these are bad about the doors in the heater case breaking and/or felt coming off. only real way to be sure is to locate the motor that controls it, remove it, and turn the door by hand. (could require dash removal) if it spins more than 60degs then the door is broke. if it moves normal but no change in air flow the felt is gone. if it moves normal and the air flow changes your motor is bad. id give the motor a 70% chance as the cause. to ease you in locating it have some one keep moving the knob while you listen for location.