2000 Saturn radiator transmission line fittings

Old 04-11-13, 10:19 AM
2000 Saturn radiator transmission line fittings

My nephew bought a radiator last year for his Saturn. When some dufus installed it, he cross threaded the fitting. It worked itself out of the hole but my nephew(not a mechanical genius) wore the hole out and now the line just keeps popping out. It is a plastic tank. What can I do to fix this. If it was metal, I'd fix the threads as best I could and use PC7 to anchor the fitting in or tap it out a size larger. Advice anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 09:13 PM
sorry but i have never seen a reliable fix. best bet would be to find a radiator repair shop. but probable cost you just as much as a new one.

Old 04-12-13, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with iceman; wouldn't hurt to at least ask at a radiator shop, though. If the cost is near the price of a replacement radiator, you might try having a go at a DIY repair, just as a last ditch effort.

What I would do (and remember this is last ditch effort before tossing it) is find a brass fitting that would go from pipe thread to barb. Something like this:

SharkBite 1/2 in. x 1/2 in. Lead-Free Brass MPT Male Adapter-UC120LFA at The Home Depot

You would need to find one that has a pipe thread very close to the stripped out hole in the rad so that it would screw into the hole and cut new threads in the plastic and also the barb end about the size of the tranny line. You would need to be careful not to get one too big, because excess tightness would crack the plastic. Once the fitting is in, you push the screw fitting up the tranny line so that you can slip on a piece of rubber tubing to join the two, securing with hose clamps.

This is really a long shot, but could work.

You didn't mention what model Saturn, but I did a quick lookup and a radiator for an SL1 can be had for about $100.

Old 04-12-13, 06:12 AM
Wish I could add more then the others, but my answer is the same.

Slightly off topic... What isn't plastic in those cars?

Old 04-12-13, 12:25 PM
I haven't even seen the car yet so I don't know how bad it is. If they have been trying to force the fitting in there, it may have already cracked the radiator, I don't know.
I like that fitting idea. If I had a tap that size, would it help if I paced the way for the fitting by trying to make threads for it? I know it's all plastic but it might facilitate easing a fitting in there?

Old 04-12-13, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Possibly. I've never looked into a tranny fitting hole in a radiator, so I don't know how easy it would be to run a tap in there.